Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Itentifying wood by smell

On 2/11/2018 7:24 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Yes, that is my quandary.Â*Â* I have a stack of pallets, and some rather
nice (for some values of nice) boards in some of them. Hardwood, I
think "oak" - but I do not know.Â* One thing I do know, when I saw them
loose, the wood gives off a pungent smell, similar
to that of strong vinegar.Â* (I hope it is the wood, and not the saw
blade.)

There are at least half a dozen woods I can identify by their smell when
being cut.
Oak, walnut, bubinga, cedar (duh!), hickory, purpleheart, white pine,
probably more if I think about it.

Not to mention the nasties that may have soaked into the wood from the
chemicals that may have spilled onto them.