Posted to sci.electronics.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default Will Deoxit on a circuit board cause problems?

wrote:
Will Deoxit on a circuit board cause problems? In other words, is it
conductive if it's touching components?

I had to spray some switches that had a very tiny hole in a plastic
covering, so the Deoxit got all over the board. I removed most of it
with tissue paper, but there are traces of it beneath chips and other
components, which is difficult to remove. I have also used some Q-tips
to get rid of as much as I can, but I cant get all of it.

Will it evaporate over time? I wont be plugging this device in for at
least 24 hours.

Normally it's not this messy, but in this case there was no easy way to
get it into those switches, which badly needed to be cleaned. I wish
they would not seal switches like this. The old style switches with open
ends were so much easier to clean.

Main ingredient in common Deoxit is gasoline. Well, Coleman Fuel, well
Naphtha. It evaporates slower than some other solvents. The 5% oily
solution remains for some time. Flammable but not conductive.

Greg