Old February 6th 18, 11:05 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

Default Will Deoxit on a circuit board cause problems?

Will Deoxit on a circuit board cause problems? In other words, is it
conductive if it's touching components?

I had to spray some switches that had a very tiny hole in a plastic
covering, so the Deoxit got all over the board. I removed most of it
with tissue paper, but there are traces of it beneath chips and other
components, which is difficult to remove. I have also used some Q-tips
to get rid of as much as I can, but I cant get all of it.

Will it evaporate over time? I wont be plugging this device in for at
least 24 hours.

Normally it's not this messy, but in this case there was no easy way to
get it into those switches, which badly needed to be cleaned. I wish
they would not seal switches like this. The old style switches with open
ends were so much easier to clean.

Old February 7th 18, 12:43 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, February 6, 2018 at 2:06:11 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Will Deoxit on a circuit board cause problems?

Not according to the manufacturer. Various formulations have been around for
decades, with no alarms raised. Relax, plug it in and go.
Old February 7th 18, 10:05 AM posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 06 Feb 2018 16:43:38 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Tue, 06 Feb 2018 16:05:11 -0600, wrote:

Will Deoxit on a circuit board cause problems? In other words, is it
conductive if it's touching components?

Think about it for a moment. If a switch lube were conductive, and
you sprayed it on the switch contacts, one might expect the switch
lube to short out the switch. That would make it a very bad switch
lube. Therefore, one might suspect that NOT shorting out the switch
which Deoxit is trying to lubricate might be a formulation
requirement. In other words, it better not be conductive.

Deoxit is mosly mineral oil (saturated parrafin oil) which will
evaporate, but very slowly. You'll need some kind organic solvent to
clean off the oil residue from the PCB. If you using Cramolin Red
instead of Deoxit, there's some oleic acid in the mix as an oxide
remover, which will very slowly corrode copper and must be removed
from the PCB.

I guess I did not explain that real well. Of course it's not conductive,
but what I meant is whether there could be water in it, meaning till it
drys it could be conductive via the water. I know most chemicals these
days cant contain solvents which are air pollution. In fact a mechanic
friend told me that auto paints no longer contain laquer thinner, and
some are even water based.

Knowing it's mineral oil eliminates that worry. I've never seen that
Cramolin Red, but I'll be sure to never buy it. Deoxit seems to be the
best anyhow, so I dont buy anything else. Years ago, I used Radio Shacks
contact cleaner most of the time, which usually worked ok, but that is
no longer available and Deoxit is better anyhow. It's a little on the
pricey side, but I find myself using less of it than I used with the
sprays I used in the past.

Thanks for the help.

Old February 7th 18, 10:18 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
Will Deoxit on a circuit board cause problems? In other words, is it
conductive if it's touching components?

I had to spray some switches that had a very tiny hole in a plastic
covering, so the Deoxit got all over the board. I removed most of it
with tissue paper, but there are traces of it beneath chips and other
components, which is difficult to remove. I have also used some Q-tips
to get rid of as much as I can, but I cant get all of it.

Will it evaporate over time? I wont be plugging this device in for at
least 24 hours.

Normally it's not this messy, but in this case there was no easy way to
get it into those switches, which badly needed to be cleaned. I wish
they would not seal switches like this. The old style switches with open
ends were so much easier to clean.

Main ingredient in common Deoxit is gasoline. Well, Coleman Fuel, well
Naphtha. It evaporates slower than some other solvents. The 5% oily
solution remains for some time. Flammable but not conductive.

Greg

Old February 7th 18, 10:31 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Some areas or states might have a ban on lacquer. Not popular like once
was, but common in touch up spray cans. Enamel spray with hardener is
awfull to breath.

Knowing it's mineral oil eliminates that worry. I've never seen that
Cramolin Red, but I'll be sure to never buy it. Deoxit seems to be the
best anyhow, so I dont buy anything else. Years ago, I used Radio Shacks
contact cleaner most of the time, which usually worked ok, but that is
no longer available and Deoxit is better anyhow. It's a little on the
pricey side, but I find myself using less of it than I used with the
sprays I used in the past.

Thanks for the help.

if you want to clear boards, use a plastic safe residue free electronic
spray.

Greg
Old February 7th 18, 04:27 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

OK - DeOxit as a contact cleaner (there are several formula) contains 95% volatile hydrocarbons and propellants if applicable, and 5% proprietary ingredients. These latter may or may not be Oleic acid, but they are reactant with various oxides of common conductive materials such as silver, copper or tin.

As long as all or part of that 5% has not reacted with one or another oxide, it will remain active. The salts produced by its reactions are, emphatically, conductive. DeOxit *MUST* be removed from whatever it goes into in order to prevent down-the-line problems. If used on a pot, the pot should be rinsed in a _lubricating_ cleaner. CRC, amongst others, makes such a material, spray or pump.

So, use DeOxit. Allow it to work while exercising the pot (or switch). Rinse & lubricate. Done.

Peter Wieck
Denver, CO
Old February 7th 18, 06:29 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 7 Feb 2018 09:18:57 -0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

Main ingredient in common Deoxit is gasoline. Well, Coleman Fuel, well
Naphtha. It evaporates slower than some other solvents. The 5% oily
solution remains for some time. Flammable but not conductive.
Greg

Reverse engineering Deoxit is problematic because the formula has
changed over the years (starting with Cramoline) and because there are
multiple mutations sold under the Deoxit name. There's now a Deoxit
grease. Even so, I can assure you that gasoline is not used (it
evaporates and you would smell it).

The spray type is mostly "mineral spirits" or "naphtha". The "active
ingredient" is some kind of acidic oxide remover, such as oleic acid
(because it is food safe):
http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.I/id.66/.f
"Formulation: 5% DeoxIT® (active ingredient), 75% odorless
mineral spirits (carrier solvent), 20% propellant
Formulation contains petroleum naphtha (odorless mineral spirits)
solvent, and is briefly flammable (until solvent evaporates within
2-3 minutes). It's slower to evaporate, providing flushing action
to remove surfaces dirt, grease and other contaminants. Is ideal
for connectors and components removed from equipment or those
that are easily accessible. It is safe on plastics. When in doubt,
always test for compatibility, especially vintage equipment with
aging ABS plastic(s)."

Note the $150 for 7.4ml price tag for Deoxit Gold Pro GX3.
http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2847/.f
"Shields Against Noise and RFI"
Ummm... right.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old February 9th 18, 12:46 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, 7 February 2018 17:29:49 UTC, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Note the $150 for 7.4ml price tag for Deoxit Gold Pro GX3.
http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2847/.f
"Shields Against Noise and RFI"
Ummm... right.

What? If you sprayed it in your ear it would shield you against noise. And when were you last hassled by Robert Fred or Ian? See it does shield you from R,F&I.

NT

Deoxit vs. RS tuner cleaner? Nate Nagel Home Repair 7 June 20th 10 02:21 PM
Can I use Deoxit D5 to clean 37 yr old silicone loaded controls? [email protected] Electronics Repair 4 February 7th 08 02:52 PM
could alkaline battery leak onto circuit board cause problems ? robb Electronics Repair 20 September 14th 07 06:33 PM
Deoxit cowboysfan Electronics Repair 4 January 21st 06 02:11 AM
better - DEOXIT, RIDOX, SUPER CONTACT CLEANER, WD40 or.. Jack Blake Electronics Repair 1 September 5th 04 12:27 AM