Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thermometers: What's the Problem with Accuracy?

On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 20:46:31 -0700, rbowman wrote:

On 02/06/2018 02:03 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
I didn't go through the drudgery of listing my opinion
of still colder temperatures. Without bothering with
the conversion to Celsius:

50 need to wear a flannel shirt when working outdoors
40 need to wear a jacket when working outdoors
30 need to wear gloves when working outdoors
20 minimum grilling temperature, provided the grill is in the lee of the house
10 need to wear a hat
0 time to get out the Carhartt
-10 snot freezes right in the nose. Stay indoors if possible.

Your scale is a little skewed. In Montana 40 is 'Hot damn. T shirt
weather' and 50 is 'The girls are coming out of their cocoons.' The
range continues to 100 -- 'Did I black out and wind up in Tijuana?'

Fortunately it isn't Florida when 100 and 99% humidity is 'Tell me again
why we evolved past gills?'

That is one misconception. It may get hot sooner here and stay hot
longer (A/C runs about 6-7 months a year) but it does not get as hot
as it does in many places up north, unless you are in Orlando. Much
like anywhere near the coast, the water regulates the temperature. It
is seldom even 95 here and when I was in Maryland 100 was not unusual.
It even gets hotter if you are in a city "heat island".
The strange thing for us was, it was about 88 when we left Ft Myers in
June and when we landed in Fairbanks Alaska it was 98. We looked
around to be sure they didn't just go to Orlando. Then we went to a
bar near the airport and ran into a barmaid we knew from Naples.