Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thermometers: What's the Problem with Accuracy?

On 02/06/2018 10:55 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 02/06/2018 05:47 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 7:45:17 PM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword
wrote:

But it's stupidly designed. C is sensible: 0 is the freezing point
of water, 100 is boiling point, easy to understand. Why don't you
also use some weird base for maths, sorry math, instead of 10?

I often use base 16.

Cindy Hamilton

I once found a book by a Russian author who claimed we should all be
using base 3 (closest whole number to e). I never understood that, but I
do like base 16, preferably indicated by a leading '$', like $FFD2
(print character subroutine for Commodore 64).

Hex is definitely more fun. I can use 0xDeadBeef and 0xCafeBabe to flag
uninitialized integers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/06/2018 11:15 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 02/06/2018 09:11 AM, rbowman wrote:

[snip]

I often use base 16.

Cindy Hamilton

0723

0x1D3 (although I actually prefer $1D3), or even (at least some times)
%000111010011.

Binary good. We use for debug flags.

#define PRINT_DEBUG 1 5

if (debug & PRINT_DEBUG) {
printf("well that didn't work.\n");
}

The support people really love that...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Feb 2018 21:48:43 -0000, wrote:

On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 12:15:36 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 02/06/2018 09:11 AM, rbowman wrote:

[snip]

I often use base 16.

Cindy Hamilton

0723

0x1D3 (although I actually prefer $1D3), or even (at least some times)
%000111010011.

?

I am a hex guy. We would say x'01D3' for that binary string.
Cindy's notation looks like octal to me.
Binary is always going to be binary tho.
BCD anyone? ;-)
That is 6 bit code plus a parity bit hence 7 track tape drives.

I get the feeling some people in this group are quite old.

We built the world you're living in. Your turn to screw it up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Feb 2018 03:57:32 -0000, rbowman wrote:

But it's stupidly designed. C is sensible: 0 is the freezing point of
water, 100 is boiling point, easy to understand. Why don't you also use
some weird base for maths, sorry math, instead of 10?

During my brief career as a math(s) teacher I tried to teach weird base
systems to 12 year olds. The A class (college bound) kids picked it up,
the D class (Dummies) couldn't make change for a dollar in the decimal
system let alone appreciate Sumeria sexagesimal calculations. But in
this country everyone is equal so they are taught the same things.

Don't they seperate dummies from bright kids over there like we do?

Yes, there was homogenous grouping in the four classes, A to D. Roughly

A -- college bound
B -- junior college / skilled trades
C -- unskilled trades
D -- ****ups and dunces

However the same syllabus was used for all four classes. The Manusmriti
codified the rights and duties of the varnas in India, as did the
Rigsthula in the Northern European worldview.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%ADgs%C3%BEula

Unfortunately the high sounding 'all men are created equal'
Enlightenment ideal that was spawned by Christianity makes it unpopular
to say the majority of the population are thralls and should be trained
for their role in society, not for a level they cannot and will not ever
reach.

'You think you're so clever and classless and free
but you're still ****ing peasants as far as I can see'

'Working Class Hero' John Lennon (on a day when reality intruded)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/06/2018 02:27 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
Some high schools do have seperate courses for general business and such
and another for college bound students, but there is no seperation for
the low to the high IQ in those classes.

My high school was structured that way. The business/shop kids took
Spanish and typing; I took German and calculus. In the course of my life
Spanish and typing would have been a lot more useful. After dcades of
programming I still type with about 5 fingers and am completely screwed
if the letters wear off the keys. I sometimes can understand German
tourists in the National Parks, but not 65% of the California people.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Feb 2018 21:27:25 -0000, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , says...

On Tue, 06 Feb 2018 03:57:32 -0000, rbowman wrote:

But it's stupidly designed. C is sensible: 0 is the freezing
point of
water, 100 is boiling point, easy to understand. Why don't you
also use
some weird base for maths, sorry math, instead of 10?

During my brief career as a math(s) teacher I tried to teach weird
base
systems to 12 year olds. The A class (college bound) kids picked it
up,
the D class (Dummies) couldn't make change for a dollar in the decimal
system let alone appreciate Sumeria sexagesimal calculations. But in
this country everyone is equal so they are taught the same things.

Don't they seperate dummies from bright kids over there like we do?

In the US they do not seperate. They teach to the lowest IQs. The only
seperation is for the sports programs. The colleges have special dorms
and food for them.

Some high schools do have seperate courses for general business and such
and another for college bound students, but there is no seperation for
the low to the high IQ in those classes.
Makes it look good for a high school when they can say the students
average a B . That is because it is much easier to score high in
general math than algebra.

Don't you find the clever students are held back by the ****wits in the
class? You'll never educate anyone if you mix all abilities together.

Definitely. The high school I went to did an end run with a 'Enriched
Curriculum' program. The smart kids didn't see much of the general
population. The holidays were a bonus. Since about a third were Jewish
plus some Jewish teachers between Hannukah and Christmas December was
shot. Throw in Little Christmas for the Russian Orthodox and you could
whittle a little bit of January away too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Feb 2018 21:52:04 -0000, wrote:

On Tue, 06 Feb 2018 20:26:07 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Tue, 06 Feb 2018 03:57:32 -0000, rbowman wrote:

But it's stupidly designed. C is sensible: 0 is the freezing point of
water, 100 is boiling point, easy to understand. Why don't you
also use
some weird base for maths, sorry math, instead of 10?

During my brief career as a math(s) teacher I tried to teach weird base
systems to 12 year olds. The A class (college bound) kids picked it up,
the D class (Dummies) couldn't make change for a dollar in the decimal
system let alone appreciate Sumeria sexagesimal calculations. But in
this country everyone is equal so they are taught the same things.

Don't they seperate dummies from bright kids over there like we do?

They are not allowed. The racial make up of the classes would bring
claims of racial discrimination. In fact one of the counties outside
got sued for it. They tried to separate out the students that needed
extra help and throw more money at them. The NAACP said they were
stigmatizing black kids.

You really needed Trump.

Trump is a start. He has opened the Overton Window a bit so some of what
needs to be said can be said. The leftist will still call you a racist
Nazi but **** them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Feb 2018 03:58:26 -0000, rbowman wrote:

You're forgetting the IQ of Americans is considerably lower than any
other country.

You are forgetting Somalia -- and Scotland.

Scotland isn't a country.

Righto -- it's the northern ******** appended to Britain.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Humidity really doesn't bother me at all. What is it with your wimps?

Try a summer vacation in Houston... Bring your Gold Bond Medicated
Powder so your balls don't rot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Look up SI units and educate yourself.

SI, British term isn't it? Sad when you even have to borrow your
terminology from the Frogs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 Feb 2018 15:01:19 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/04/2018 11:03 PM, Bod wrote:

Understood, but C has become the universal standard.

You seem to feel the world revolves around the POTUS. Until the US
adopts Celsius it isn't universal. Don't hold your breath.

Stop using silly acronyms.

Okay, going forward I'll always spell out United Kookery.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Schools are run by states and local school boards. Trump really is not
involved.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Feb 2018 00:27:59 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

[...]

That is the general theme here. Some places have pretty good schools.
Others award diplomas like participation trophies. You show up a 150
days a year, you graduate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Feb 2018 00:30:23 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Tue, 06 Feb 2018 17:36:19 -0000, notX wrote:

[snip]

But it's stupidly designed. C is sensible: 0 is the freezing point of
water, 100 is boiling point, easy to understand. Why don't you also use
some weird base for maths, sorry math, instead of 10?

Note that in both systems, the 0-degree point is artificial. That is, it
is NOT the same as the temperature that corresponds to no heat. That
system is Kelvin. They use it with light bulbs

It's not artificial, it's calibrated to the most important substance to mankind, water. Why do you think a kilogram of water is a litre etc?

That is the most elegant thing in the metric system. The world does
still stick with the watt or joule and the relationship with calories
is pretty sloppy tho. I still see a lot of horsepower being used too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 02/06/2018 09:11 AM, rbowman wrote:

[snip]

I often use base 16.

Cindy Hamilton

0723

0x1D3 (although I actually prefer $1D3), or even (at least some times)
%000111010011.

?

I am a hex guy. We would say x'01D3' for that binary string.
Cindy's notation looks like octal to me.
Binary is always going to be binary tho.
BCD anyone? ;-)
That is 6 bit code plus a parity bit hence 7 track tape drives.

I get the feeling some people in this group are quite old.

I can still speak Hollerith (punch card) and Baudot (paper tape). ;-)
If I think about it I can still do some morse but I sam digging deep.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Feb 2018 01:39:55 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

The best thermometer is the penis.

Do the girls fall for that?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 20:46:31 -0700, rbowman wrote:

On 02/06/2018 02:03 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
I didn't go through the drudgery of listing my opinion
of still colder temperatures. Without bothering with
the conversion to Celsius:

50 need to wear a flannel shirt when working outdoors
40 need to wear a jacket when working outdoors
30 need to wear gloves when working outdoors
20 minimum grilling temperature, provided the grill is in the lee of the house
10 need to wear a hat
0 time to get out the Carhartt
-10 snot freezes right in the nose. Stay indoors if possible.

Your scale is a little skewed. In Montana 40 is 'Hot damn. T shirt
weather' and 50 is 'The girls are coming out of their cocoons.' The
range continues to 100 -- 'Did I black out and wind up in Tijuana?'

Fortunately it isn't Florida when 100 and 99% humidity is 'Tell me again
why we evolved past gills?'

That is one misconception. It may get hot sooner here and stay hot
longer (A/C runs about 6-7 months a year) but it does not get as hot
as it does in many places up north, unless you are in Orlando. Much
like anywhere near the coast, the water regulates the temperature. It
is seldom even 95 here and when I was in Maryland 100 was not unusual.
It even gets hotter if you are in a city "heat island".
The strange thing for us was, it was about 88 when we left Ft Myers in
June and when we landed in Fairbanks Alaska it was 98. We looked
around to be sure they didn't just go to Orlando. Then we went to a
bar near the airport and ran into a barmaid we knew from Naples.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 21:30:11 -0700, rbowman wrote:

Don't you find the clever students are held back by the ****wits in the
class? You'll never educate anyone if you mix all abilities together.

Definitely. The high school I went to did an end run with a 'Enriched
Curriculum' program.

Some school systems are avoiding this with "home school". They are
still in the system but they get laptops and they go to school from
home, pretty much going at their own speed. This is a Skype sort of
thing with a live teacher but there is a whole lot of flexibility in
the curriculum and very small classes. One of my grand daughters is
working at around one grade level higher than her age. The other is
more like 2 grades ahead.
My grand son .... well I hope he learns how to throw a pass ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 02/06/2018 09:11 AM, rbowman wrote:

[snip]

I often use base 16.

Cindy Hamilton

0723

0x1D3 (although I actually prefer $1D3), or even (at least some times)
%000111010011.

?

I am a hex guy. We would say x'01D3' for that binary string.
Cindy's notation looks like octal to me.
Binary is always going to be binary tho.
BCD anyone? ;-)
That is 6 bit code plus a parity bit hence 7 track tape drives.

I get the feeling some people in this group are quite old.

We built the world you're living in. Your turn to screw it up.

I think you'll find that it was Britain's industrial revolution that did
that.

--
Bod

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 02/06/2018 09:11 AM, rbowman wrote:

[snip]

I often use base 16.

Cindy Hamilton

0723

0x1D3 (although I actually prefer $1D3), or even (at least some times)
%000111010011.

?

I am a hex guy. We would say x'01D3' for that binary string.
Cindy's notation looks like octal to me.
Binary is always going to be binary tho.
BCD anyone? ;-)
That is 6 bit code plus a parity bit hence 7 track tape drives.

I get the feeling some people in this group are quite old.

We built the world you're living in. Your turn to screw it up.

I think you'll find that it was Britain's industrial revolution that did
that.

Industrial Revolution - Facts & Summary - HISTORY.com
www.history.com/topics/industrial-revolution

The Industrial Revolution, which took place from the 18th to 19th
centuries, was a period during which predominantly agrarian, rural
societies in Europe and America became industrial and urban. Prior to
the Industrial Revolution, which *began in Britain* in the late 1700s,
manufacturing was often done in people's homes, ...

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowman, Birdbrain's senile whore!

On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 21:36:47 -0700, lowbrowman, yet another endlessly
driveling senile idiot, blabbered again:

Scotland isn't a country.

Righto -- it's the northern ******** appended to Britain.

Sucking troll's cock again, you senile ****head? It's last remaining
pleasure in your senile "life", eh, lowbrowman!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Feb 2018 09:44:43 -0500, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Per James Wilkinson Sword:
You're forgetting the IQ of Americans is considerably lower than any other country.

Dunno from other countries, but my feeling is that the average IQ of the
USA's population is somewhere South of room temperature.

OK, gross exaggeration... but 100 *is* the "Mean" (whatever that is....).

To be more real, I think my impression is more from people's lack of critical
thinking skills - not that mine are all that wonderful... but at least I can
recognize my own deficits in that area.

You clearly are not very smart. What kind of an idiot would discuss IQs with
internationally recognized congenital idiot, troll and attention whore like
Peter Hucker?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gay ****** Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL), the Sociopathic Attention Whore

On Wed, 07 Feb 2018 02:00:45 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

You can't disprove it with one person. That's like saying because you
have blonde hair that Americans aren't brunettes.

I can. Maybe you forgot to add "most".

Maybe you forgot to read between the lines. I guess I shouldn't expect
Americans to understand the finer points of English.

He isn't too smart either, Birdbrain! He STILL hasn't realized what a retard
you are!

--
More from gay ****** Birdbrain's strange sociopathic world:
"If people don't like seeing other people the way they were born, there's
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Feb 2018 01:44:23 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

You are not alone.

But both of you are pathetic.

Indeed! You keep hammering it into them what a sick abnormal cretin you are,
and they still can't believe you!

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) strange sociopathic
world:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 21:38:43 -0700, lowbrowman, yet another endlessly
driveling senile idiot, blabbered again:

Humidity really doesn't bother me at all. What is it with your wimps?

Try a summer vacation in Houston... Bring your Gold Bond Medicated
Powder so your balls don't rot.

Your senile toothless gob firmly locked onto the Scottish attention whore's
cock again, lowbrowman?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 21:40:54 -0700, lowbrowman, yet another endlessly
driveling senile idiot, blabbered again:

SI, British term isn't it? Sad when you even have to borrow your
terminology from the Frogs.

You hope you might have gotten off the hook, lowbrowman? You haven't! Any
you won't, EVER! Not as long as I'm around, you disgusting senile
cocksucker!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 21:42:08 -0700, lowbrowman, yet another endlessly
driveling senile idiot, blabbered again:

Okay, going forward I'll always spell out United Kookery.

Nope, lowbrowman, you will just KEEP sucking the filthy ******'s unwashed
cock! It's your ONLY "joy" left in your "life"!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 21:30:11 -0700, lowbrowman, yet another endlessly
driveling senile idiot, blabbered again:

Definitely. The high school I went to

Oh, no! Not another lengthy senile story out of the senile cocksucker's
mouth! tsk
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Feb 2018 01:47:27 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

This is probably why nobody in the US is very clever.

What's your operating system, Scottish cretin? I hope, it's not an American
one! BG

--
Socioapthic attention whore Birdbrain about Hitler:
"We would have done just fine. And myself I wouldn't have cared if Hitler

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 21:22:33 -0700, lowbrowman, yet another endlessly
driveling senile idiot, blabbered again:

Yes, there was homogenous grouping in the four classes, A

FLUSH all the inevitable senile ****

What did I tell you about talking to that Scottish cretin, you abnormal
senile oaf? Shall I talk to your nurse to give you another injection and
make you quiet all day long again? BG
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 21:03:18 -0700, lowbrowman, yet another endlessly
driveling senile idiot, blabbered again:

I get the feeling some people in this group are quite old.

We built the world you're living in. Your turn to screw it up.

HE keeps screwing YOU senile old *******s! And you useless lonely senile
oafs ENJOY it, like typical seniles!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 21:35:02 -0700, lowbrowman, yet another endlessly
driveling senile idiot, blabbered again:

You really needed Trump.

Trump is a start. He has opened the Overton Window a bit so some of what
needs to be said can be said. The leftist will still call you a racist
Nazi but **** them.

Trump still needs to say what a driveling senile idiot you are, lowbrowman!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 20:52:54 -0700, lowbrowman, yet another endlessly
driveling senile idiot, blabbered again:

It's not artificial, it's calibrated to the most important substance to
mankind, water. Why do you think a kilogram of water is a litre etc?

Nothing that came out of the French Revolution and the Age of
Enlightenment can be good.

Put a bunch of lonely senile Yanks in a room with a Scottish sociopath
....and you get a "discussion" like this one! LMAO

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 02/06/2018 09:11 AM, rbowman wrote:

[snip]

I often use base 16.

Cindy Hamilton

0723

0x1D3 (although I actually prefer $1D3), or even (at least some times)
%000111010011.

?

I am a hex guy. We would say x'01D3' for that binary string.
Cindy's notation looks like octal to me.
Binary is always going to be binary tho.
BCD anyone? ;-)
That is 6 bit code plus a parity bit hence 7 track tape drives.

The attributions got loused up. I favor 0x for hex. For example,
0x00001010 for a bitmask.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 02/06/2018 09:11 AM, rbowman wrote:

[snip]

I often use base 16.

Cindy Hamilton

0723

0x1D3 (although I actually prefer $1D3), or even (at least some times)
%000111010011.

?

I am a hex guy. We would say x'01D3' for that binary string.
Cindy's notation looks like octal to me.
Binary is always going to be binary tho.
BCD anyone? ;-)
That is 6 bit code plus a parity bit hence 7 track tape drives.

I get the feeling some people in this group are quite old.

It's Usenet. Most people on Usenet are pretty old. All of the
cool kids are elsewhere.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 02/06/2018 09:11 AM, rbowman wrote:

[snip]

I often use base 16.

Cindy Hamilton

0723

0x1D3 (although I actually prefer $1D3), or even (at least some times)
%000111010011.

?

I am a hex guy. We would say x'01D3' for that binary string.
Cindy's notation looks like octal to me.
Binary is always going to be binary tho.
BCD anyone? ;-)
That is 6 bit code plus a parity bit hence 7 track tape drives.

I get the feeling some people in this group are quite old.

They prolly have thermometers with binary/hex/octal/scientific notation displays too.

The best thermometer is the penis.

Could be a little tricky for candymaking.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 6, 2018 at 8:44:13 PM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Mon, 05 Feb 2018 01:04:02 -0000, Uncle Monster wrote:

On Sunday, February 4, 2018 at 3:29:56 PM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Sunday, February 4, 2018 at 2:52:17 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sun, 4 Feb 2018 17:54:48 +0000, Bod wrote:

On 04/02/2018 17:11, wrote:
On Sun, 04 Feb 2018 11:51:08 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

I've been trying to buy four refrigerator/freezer thermometers and it's
frustrating how inaccurate/inconsistent they are.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/garden/P...=2,40733,40734

As an aside, I'm surprised that the US is still using Fahrenheit instead
of the universal Centigrade.
There's only about 8 countries that still use F.

Fahrenheit remains the official scale for the following countries:

The Bahamas, Belize, the Cayman Islands, Palau and the United States and
associated territories (Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands).
Canada retains it as a supplementary scale that can be used alongside
Celsius.

We use what we are used to. OTOH Fahrenheit gives you about twice the
precision without resorting to decimals. I am comfortable with both
since my science friends are all C

I've never understood the "precision" argument. Does it matter whether
it's 70, 71, or 72 F ? I suppose 31, 32, and 33 F are more significant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 7 Feb 2018 03:40:59 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

It's Usenet. Most people on Usenet are pretty old. All of the
cool kids are elsewhere.

Cindy Hamilton

ONLY old people would say such a thing! And, yes, EVERYONE who is demented
enought to engage in "discussions" with that sociopath, even after it has
been pointed out by several people what this abnormal troll is all about, IS
old and senile! Go figure, senile ****!