Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default Thermometers: What's the Problem with Accuracy?

On Tue, 06 Feb 2018 21:27:25 -0000, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , says...

On Tue, 06 Feb 2018 03:57:32 -0000, rbowman wrote:

But it's stupidly designed. C is sensible: 0 is the freezing
point of
water, 100 is boiling point, easy to understand. Why don't you
also use
some weird base for maths, sorry math, instead of 10?

During my brief career as a math(s) teacher I tried to teach weird
base
systems to 12 year olds. The A class (college bound) kids picked it
up,
the D class (Dummies) couldn't make change for a dollar in the decimal
system let alone appreciate Sumeria sexagesimal calculations. But in
this country everyone is equal so they are taught the same things.

Don't they seperate dummies from bright kids over there like we do?

In the US they do not seperate. They teach to the lowest IQs. The only
seperation is for the sports programs. The colleges have special dorms
and food for them.

Some high schools do have seperate courses for general business and such
and another for college bound students, but there is no seperation for
the low to the high IQ in those classes.
Makes it look good for a high school when they can say the students
average a B . That is because it is much easier to score high in
general math than algebra.

Don't you find the clever students are held back by the ****wits in the
class? You'll never educate anyone if you mix all abilities together.

Definitely. The high school I went to did an end run with a 'Enriched
Curriculum' program. The smart kids didn't see much of the general
population. The holidays were a bonus. Since about a third were Jewish
plus some Jewish teachers between Hannukah and Christmas December was
shot. Throw in Little Christmas for the Russian Orthodox and you could
whittle a little bit of January away too.