Posted to alt.home.repair
notX notX is offline

Default Thermometers: What's the Problem with Accuracy?

[snip]

It's not artificial, it's calibrated to the most important substance to
mankind, water.** Why do you think a kilogram of water is a litre etc?

Describing Celsius. I think there's some other temperature scale that
used that same 0 point, although I've forgotten what it is.

Temperature is heat density. That doesn't reach 0 until much lower than
the point at which water freezes. The importance of water (and it IS
important) doesn't change that.

Can you think of anything else where a measurement of 0 is not equal to
none (none of the thing being measured)?