Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thermometers: What's the Problem with Accuracy?

windsor Ontario is an oddity; you have to drive south from Detroit to
get there.

Yep. There was a Trivial Pursuit question about that. I've been driving
(or riding) south to get to Canada all my life.
Cindy Hamilton

http://www.prooffreader.com/2013/11/...be-not-as.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/02/2018 11:43, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 1:14:28 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 5 Feb 2018 06:03:05 +0000, Bod wrote:

We use what we are used to. OTOH Fahrenheit gives you about twice the
precision without resorting to decimals. I am comfortable with both
since my science friends are all C

Understood, but C has become the universal standard.

Where you live anyway. I speak fluent celsius but people just cock
their head here when I say the water was 22.8 this morning.

Let's see. Round 22.8 up to 23; take 23, double it and add 30: 76.
Close enough for jazz.

Cindy Hamilton

Yup, that's what I do.

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/2018 3:05 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Art Todesco:
The unit was only $120 including the service,

How about a link?

Sorry, I should have done that in the original post. The unit is from
Lascar Electronics at
https://www.lascarelectronics.com/ea...er-el-wifi-tp/. They
show it for $150 but others sell it cheaper. I got mine from Test
Equipment Depot. As I recall, I paid about $120 for it.
http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/la...a-elwifitp.htm

When I bought mine, you would get free cloud service for up to 2 sensor
units. You had to buy the cloud service for more sensors or it you were
recording real time data very frequently. But for 1 fridge, it was
free. BTW, I noticed at my local Walmart Pharmacy they that one, or
something very similar, on the fridge where they kept certain drugs like
insulin. I don't know if it had logging capabilities or not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/2018 12:40 AM, Bod wrote:
On 05/02/2018 19:52, dpb wrote:
On 2/5/2018 12:41 PM, Bod wrote:

Bit of a coincidence Cindy, we live about ten minutes or so from
Windsor...but Windsor, England. About 4 miles from the castle :-)

Have a nephew who was European Sales rep for Cessna who lived within
about that same radius...he's since returned to the States but we were
there a couple times while I was doing the coal flow testing at
Kingsnorth Station over in the Rochester/Chatham area...

--

I hope you had a reasonable time whilst over here?

Indeed...had a total of four excursions on that project, other than days
spent on the boiler deck of a coal-fired power plant doing extractive
sampling testing for determining relative coal flow distribution to each
burner as the base data for research into developing a technique for
online continuous flow measurement... That's hot and dirty business.

By pure coincidence happened to be near the castle one afternoon when
there was "an appearance"...was able to take weekends during the testing
duration plus we spent additional week to ten days after finished work
stint and toured...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/2018 6:46 AM, Bod wrote:
On 06/02/2018 11:43, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 1:14:28 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 5 Feb 2018 06:03:05 +0000, Bod wrote:

We use what we are used to. OTOH Fahrenheit gives you about twice the
precision without resorting to decimals. I am comfortable with both
since my science friends are all C

Understood, but C has become the universal standard.

Where you live anyway. I speak fluent celsius but people just cock
their head here when I say the water was 22.8 this morning.

Let's see.Â* Round 22.8 up to 23; take 23, double it and add 30:Â* 76.
Close enough for jazz.

Cindy Hamilton

Yup, that's what I do.

Thass the point; if have to do that, it's not inate...one has to
consciously do the conversion. There are a few points almost everybody
knows but even with those the intermediates don't "just come natcherly".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/2018 5:47 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 7:45:17 PM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

But it's stupidly designed. C is sensible: 0 is the freezing point of water, 100 is boiling point, easy to understand. Why don't you also use some weird base for maths, sorry math, instead of 10?

I often use base 16.

And 8 and 2 and for some encoding purposes 36...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per James Wilkinson Sword:
You're forgetting the IQ of Americans is considerably lower than any other country.

Dunno from other countries, but my feeling is that the average IQ of the
USA's population is somewhere South of room temperature.

OK, gross exaggeration... but 100 *is* the "Mean" (whatever that is....).

To be more real, I think my impression is more from people's lack of critical
thinking skills - not that mine are all that wonderful... but at least I can
recognize my own deficits in that area.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Art Todesco:
http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/la...a-elwifitp.htm

That thing is starting to call out to me.

Do you just close the refrigerator door on the wire?

Or did the refrigerator need a hole drilled in it for the wire?
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 6, 2018 at 9:29:03 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 2/6/2018 6:46 AM, Bod wrote:
[...]

I suspect that if we converted to Celsius, I soon would
be comfortable with the notion that
15 C is pleasantly cool
20 C is pleasant
25 C is hot
30 C is damned hot
35 C is hot as Satan's jockstrap

These ranges correspond roughly to my current feelings
about 60, 70, 80, 90, and 100 F.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/2018 6:46 AM, Bod wrote:
[...]

Yup, straightforward isn't it!

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Mon, 5 Feb 2018 06:03:05 +0000, Bod wrote:

We use what we are used to. OTOH Fahrenheit gives you about
twice the
precision without resorting to decimals. I am comfortable with both
since my science friends are all C

Understood, but C has become the universal standard.

Where you live anyway. I speak fluent celsius but people just cock
their head here when I say the water was 22.8 this morning.

Let's see.Â* Round 22.8 up to 23; take 23, double it and add 30:Â* 76.
Close enough for jazz.

Cindy Hamilton

Yup, that's what I do.
Thass the point; if have to do that, it's not inate...one has to
consciously do the conversion.Â* There are a few points almost everybody
knows but even with those the intermediates don't "just come natcherly".

--

I suspect that if we converted to Celsius, I soon would
be comfortable with the notion that
15 C is pleasantly cool
20 C is pleasant
25 C is hot
30 C is damned hot
35 C is hot as Satan's jockstrap

These ranges correspond roughly to my current feelings
about 60, 70, 80, 90, and 100 F.

Cindy Hamilton

Yup, straightforward isn't it!

I just know when on top of coal belt tower doing calibrations that -40
is colder than (fill in here) ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 03:43:26 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 1:14:28 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 5 Feb 2018 06:03:05 +0000, Bod wrote:

We use what we are used to. OTOH Fahrenheit gives you about twice the
precision without resorting to decimals. I am comfortable with both
since my science friends are all C

Understood, but C has become the universal standard.

Where you live anyway. I speak fluent celsius but people just cock
their head here when I say the water was 22.8 this morning.

Let's see. Round 22.8 up to 23; take 23, double it and add 30: 76.
Close enough for jazz.

Cindy Hamilton

It is really more like 73 and you would notice the 3 degrees if you
jumped in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 1:14:28 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 5 Feb 2018 06:03:05 +0000, Bod wrote:

We use what we are used to. OTOH Fahrenheit gives you about twice the
precision without resorting to decimals. I am comfortable with both
since my science friends are all C

Understood, but C has become the universal standard.

Where you live anyway. I speak fluent celsius but people just cock
their head here when I say the water was 22.8 this morning.

Let's see. Round 22.8 up to 23; take 23, double it and add 30: 76.
Close enough for jazz.

Cindy Hamilton

It is really more like 73 and you would notice the 3 degrees if you
jumped in.

You're not wrong about water. However, I can't remember the
last time I immersed myself in anything but water heated
to 101 F. I'm much more interested in the air temperature.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

But it's stupidly designed.* C is sensible: 0 is the freezing point of
water, 100 is boiling point, easy to understand.* Why don't you also use
some weird base for maths, sorry math, instead of 10?

Note that in both systems, the 0-degree point is artificial. That is, it
is NOT the same as the temperature that corresponds to no heat. That
system is Kelvin. They use it with light bulbs

Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

You're forgetting the IQ of Americans is considerably lower than any
other country.

I won't tell you my IQ, but it does disprove that rule.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/2018 6:46 AM, Bod wrote:
[...]

Your rounding is not particularly accurate and you must live in the
Pac Northwest.
This is how we look at it in Florida
15c = 59 Brrr Parka if you have one.
20 = 68 You can lose the jacket but still too cold to boat
25 = 77 Eeek Canadians are getting in the water
30 = 86 Floridians are getting in the water
35 = 95 Good thing we have a pool.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/06/2018 05:47 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 7:45:17 PM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

But it's stupidly designed. C is sensible: 0 is the freezing point of water, 100 is boiling point, easy to understand. Why don't you also use some weird base for maths, sorry math, instead of 10?

I often use base 16.

Cindy Hamilton

I once found a book by a Russian author who claimed we should all be
using base 3 (closest whole number to e). I never understood that, but I
do like base 16, preferably indicated by a leading '$', like $FFD2
(print character subroutine for Commodore 64).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains a popular item."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/06/2018 08:44 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per James Wilkinson Sword:
You're forgetting the IQ of Americans is considerably lower than any other country.

Dunno from other countries, but my feeling is that the average IQ of the
USA's population is somewhere South of room temperature.

OK, gross exaggeration... but 100 *is* the "Mean" (whatever that is....).

When I got a computer, one of the first programming examples in the book
was called "A friendly mean program".

To be more real, I think my impression is more from people's lack of critical
thinking skills - not that mine are all that wonderful... but at least I can
recognize my own deficits in that area.

As to the cause of that (people's lack of critical thinking skills), one
cause I heard of is Santa Claus. That is, the sort of unrealistic
anti-intellectual stuff people tell their kids. This total lack of
privacy (some being invading your thoughts) had an effect.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 6, 2018 at 12:36:24 PM UTC-5, notX wrote:

[snip]

But it's stupidly designed.Â* C is sensible: 0 is the freezing point of
water, 100 is boiling point, easy to understand.Â* Why don't you also use
some weird base for maths, sorry math, instead of 10?

Note that in both systems, the 0-degree point is artificial. That is, it
is NOT the same as the temperature that corresponds to no heat. That
system is Kelvin. They use it with light bulbs

Kelvin is only for C degrees. (well, K) for F degrees the system is Rankin. In thermodynamics class problems were given in both systems.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/06/2018 09:11 AM, rbowman wrote:

[snip]

I often use base 16.

Cindy Hamilton

0723

0x1D3 (although I actually prefer $1D3), or even (at least some times)
%000111010011.

Ç“

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains a popular item."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 11:00:50 -0600, dpb wrote:

I just know when on top of coal belt tower doing calibrations that -40
is colder than (fill in here) ...

Dunno, is that C or F ?
(trick question)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gay ****** Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL), the Sociopathic Attention Whore

On Tue, 06 Feb 2018 20:26:28 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Scotland isn't a country.

EVERY dictionary says it IS a country, Birdbrain, you retarded sociopathic
piece of ****!

And yes, poor idiot: that was QUOTEWORTHY again! BG

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) sociopathic
"mathematics":
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/2018 6:46 AM, Bod wrote:
[...]

It doesn't have to be very accurate.

I live in Michigan.

I didn't go through the drudgery of listing my opinion
of still colder temperatures. Without bothering with
the conversion to Celsius:

50 need to wear a flannel shirt when working outdoors
40 need to wear a jacket when working outdoors
30 need to wear gloves when working outdoors
20 minimum grilling temperature, provided the grill is in the lee of the house
10 need to wear a hat
0 time to get out the Carhartt
-10 snot freezes right in the nose. Stay indoors if possible.

This is how we look at it in Florida
15c = 59 Brrr Parka if you have one.
20 = 68 You can lose the jacket but still too cold to boat
25 = 77 Eeek Canadians are getting in the water
30 = 86 Floridians are getting in the water
35 = 95 Good thing we have a pool.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 12:15:36 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 02/06/2018 09:11 AM, rbowman wrote:

[snip]

I often use base 16.

Cindy Hamilton

0723

0x1D3 (although I actually prefer $1D3), or even (at least some times)
%000111010011.

?

I am a hex guy. We would say x'01D3' for that binary string.
Cindy's notation looks like octal to me.
Binary is always going to be binary tho.
BCD anyone? ;-)
That is 6 bit code plus a parity bit hence 7 track tape drives.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Feb 2018 20:26:07 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Tue, 06 Feb 2018 03:57:32 -0000, rbowman wrote:

But it's stupidly designed. C is sensible: 0 is the freezing point of
water, 100 is boiling point, easy to understand. Why don't you also use
some weird base for maths, sorry math, instead of 10?

During my brief career as a math(s) teacher I tried to teach weird base
systems to 12 year olds. The A class (college bound) kids picked it up,
the D class (Dummies) couldn't make change for a dollar in the decimal
system let alone appreciate Sumeria sexagesimal calculations. But in
this country everyone is equal so they are taught the same things.

Don't they seperate dummies from bright kids over there like we do?

They are not allowed. The racial make up of the classes would bring
claims of racial discrimination. In fact one of the counties outside
got sued for it. They tried to separate out the students that needed
extra help and throw more money at them. The NAACP said they were
stigmatizing black kids.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/2018 6:46 AM, Bod wrote:
[...]

Celsius works perfectly for me. If it ever gets below zero, I am
moving farther south.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 02/06/2018 09:11 AM, rbowman wrote:

[snip]

I often use base 16.

Cindy Hamilton

0723

0x1D3 (although I actually prefer $1D3), or even (at least some times)
%000111010011.

?

I am a hex guy. We would say x'01D3' for that binary string.
Cindy's notation looks like octal to me.
Binary is always going to be binary tho.
BCD anyone? ;-)
That is 6 bit code plus a parity bit hence 7 track tape drives.

I get the feeling some people in this group are quite old.

They prolly have thermometers with binary/hex/octal/scientific notation displays too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Cindy Hamilton:
I live in Michigan.

I didn't go through the drudgery of listing my opinion
of still colder temperatures. Without bothering with
the conversion to Celsius:

50 need to wear a flannel shirt when working outdoors
40 need to wear a jacket when working outdoors
30 need to wear gloves when working outdoors
20 minimum grilling temperature, provided the grill is in the lee of the house
10 need to wear a hat
0 time to get out the Carhartt
-10 snot freezes right in the nose. Stay indoors if possible.

A bit like Canada?
http://tinyurl.com/y8qv9dn9
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/06/2018 06:48 PM, 00000001 wrote:

[snip]

They prolly have thermometers with binary/hex/octal/scientific notation
displays too.

The current temperature is 5.4 * 10^10 nanodegrees F.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains a popular item."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Feb 2018 17:38:45 -0000, Jim E

[snip]

You're forgetting the IQ of Americans is considerably lower than any
other country.

I won't tell you my IQ, but it does disprove that rule.

You can't disprove it with one person.* That's like saying because you
have blonde hair that Americans aren't brunettes.

I can. Maybe you forgot to add "most".

Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

It's not artificial, it's calibrated to the most important substance to
mankind, water.** Why do you think a kilogram of water is a litre etc?

Describing Celsius. I think there's some other temperature scale that
used that same 0 point, although I've forgotten what it is.

Temperature is heat density. That doesn't reach 0 until much lower than
the point at which water freezes. The importance of water (and it IS
important) doesn't change that.

Can you think of anything else where a measurement of 0 is not equal to
none (none of the thing being measured)?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/06/2018 02:03 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
I didn't go through the drudgery of listing my opinion
of still colder temperatures. Without bothering with
the conversion to Celsius:

50 need to wear a flannel shirt when working outdoors
40 need to wear a jacket when working outdoors
30 need to wear gloves when working outdoors
20 minimum grilling temperature, provided the grill is in the lee of the house
10 need to wear a hat
0 time to get out the Carhartt
-10 snot freezes right in the nose. Stay indoors if possible.

Your scale is a little skewed. In Montana 40 is 'Hot damn. T shirt
weather' and 50 is 'The girls are coming out of their cocoons.' The
range continues to 100 -- 'Did I black out and wind up in Tijuana?'

Fortunately it isn't Florida when 100 and 99% humidity is 'Tell me again
why we evolved past gills?'

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/06/2018 02:54 PM, wrote:
Celsius works perfectly for me. If it ever gets below zero, I am
moving farther south.

Light the smudge pots in the orange groves before you go...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Feb 2018 17:36:19 -0000, notX wrote:

[snip]

But it's stupidly designed. C is sensible: 0 is the freezing point of
water, 100 is boiling point, easy to understand. Why don't you also use
some weird base for maths, sorry math, instead of 10?

Note that in both systems, the 0-degree point is artificial. That is, it
is NOT the same as the temperature that corresponds to no heat. That
system is Kelvin. They use it with light bulbs

It's not artificial, it's calibrated to the most important substance to
mankind, water. Why do you think a kilogram of water is a litre etc?

Nothing that came out of the French Revolution and the Age of
Enlightenment can be good.