Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thermometers: What's the Problem with Accuracy?

On 02/06/2018 03:48 PM, wrote:

[snip]

0723

0x1D3 (although I actually prefer $1D3), or even (at least some times)
%000111010011.

?

I am a hex guy. We would say x'01D3' for that binary string.
Cindy's notation looks like octal to me.
Binary is always going to be binary tho.
BCD anyone? ;-)

0100 0110 0111

That is 6 bit code plus a parity bit hence 7 track tape drives.

I considered 0723 to be in octal. 0x1D3 is the same number expressed in
hex (as C uses). $1D3 (hex) and %000111010011 (binary) are the
representations used by the home computer I had in the eighties. The one
that didn't get quoted is the Unicode character with this value.

Here are some others (as in the 8080 assembler I used in college):
456
723q
1D3h
000111010011b

Hex that starts with A-F needs a leading 0. Octal is 'q' since too many
people confuse 'o' with a digit.

There's also 79A

Also I knew what it meant when I told my computer to "PRINT 4 OR 6" and
it printed 7. BTW, the first program I wrote finds the square root of a
number, starting by assuming it's 10.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains a popular item."