Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thermometers: What's the Problem with Accuracy?

On Tuesday, February 6, 2018 at 12:53:02 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 07:41:05 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Tuesday, February 6, 2018 at 9:29:03 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 2/6/2018 6:46 AM, Bod wrote:
On 06/02/2018 11:43, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 1:14:28 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 5 Feb 2018 06:03:05 +0000, Bod wrote:

We use what we are used to. OTOH Fahrenheit gives you about twice the
precision without resorting to decimals. I am comfortable with both
since my science friends are all C

Understood, but C has become the universal standard.

Where you live anyway. I speak fluent celsius but people just cock
their head here when I say the water was 22.8 this morning.

Let's see.Â* Round 22.8 up to 23; take 23, double it and add 30:Â* 76.
Close enough for jazz.

Cindy Hamilton

Yup, that's what I do.
Thass the point; if have to do that, it's not inate...one has to
consciously do the conversion. There are a few points almost everybody
knows but even with those the intermediates don't "just come natcherly".

--

I suspect that if we converted to Celsius, I soon would
be comfortable with the notion that

These ranges correspond roughly to my current feelings
about 60, 70, 80, 90, and 100 F.

Cindy Hamilton

Your rounding is not particularly accurate and you must live in the
Pac Northwest.

It doesn't have to be very accurate.

I live in Michigan.

I didn't go through the drudgery of listing my opinion
of still colder temperatures. Without bothering with
the conversion to Celsius:

50 need to wear a flannel shirt when working outdoors
40 need to wear a jacket when working outdoors
30 need to wear gloves when working outdoors
20 minimum grilling temperature, provided the grill is in the lee of the house
10 need to wear a hat
0 time to get out the Carhartt
-10 snot freezes right in the nose. Stay indoors if possible.

This is how we look at it in Florida
15c = 59 Brrr Parka if you have one.
20 = 68 You can lose the jacket but still too cold to boat
25 = 77 Eeek Canadians are getting in the water
30 = 86 Floridians are getting in the water
35 = 95 Good thing we have a pool.