Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default alexa in the shop

On Tuesday, February 6, 2018 at 1:50:48 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 2/5/2018 9:58 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 05 Feb 2018 19:32:24 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Electric Comet on Mon, 5 Feb 2018
10:04:20 -0800 typed in rec.woodworking the following:
On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 09:21:00 -0800
pyotr filipivich wrote:

Because I do not want it in my house.

i think the mycroft mark ii will be good because skills can be added
by the community instead of waiting for the maker to do it and then
they probably never would anyway unless it was to their benefit and
had a profit motive

My issues is more along the lines of "Why would I want to put a
microphone and camera in my house which is connected to the Internet?"

Even worse, a camera and microphone that's controlled by Bezos, or
similar.

I'm not paranoid, I'm convinced.

My son gave us a Google speaker for Christmas. It still sits in its
box. I have no idea what I would do with such a thing. Paperweight?

Sell it on e-bay and buy an Amazon Echo/Alexa. ;!) My wife uses it all
the time in the kitchen.

Alexa put bread on the shopping list. That appears immediately on her
shopping list on her iPhone, and can recite back every thing on the
list. I test my glucose levels 2 hours after eating. I'll tell Alexa
to set timer for 2 hours as a reminder. Alexa what is 483 x 453, she
answers.
And the all important question, Alexa how much does the earth weigh.
You get the answer in Imperial and Metric. LOL

And we tell her to play Pandora for the dog when we are gone. ;~)

I like it when she tells me how much snow we are going to get. "You can expect 1.48"
of snow." That type of precision helps me decide which shovel to get ready. ;-)