Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Thermometers: What's the Problem with Accuracy?

On 2/6/2018 10:12 AM, Bod wrote:
On 06/02/2018 15:41, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Tuesday, February 6, 2018 at 9:29:03 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 2/6/2018 6:46 AM, Bod wrote:
On 06/02/2018 11:43, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 1:14:28 PM UTC-5,
wrote:
On Mon, 5 Feb 2018 06:03:05 +0000, Bod wrote:

We use what we are used to. OTOH Fahrenheit gives you about
twice the
precision without resorting to decimals. I am comfortable with both
since my science friends are all C

Understood, but C has become the universal standard.

Where you live anyway. I speak fluent celsius but people just cock
their head here when I say the water was 22.8 this morning.

Let's see.Â* Round 22.8 up to 23; take 23, double it and add 30:Â* 76.
Close enough for jazz.

Cindy Hamilton

Yup, that's what I do.
Thass the point; if have to do that, it's not inate...one has to
consciously do the conversion.Â* There are a few points almost everybody
knows but even with those the intermediates don't "just come natcherly".

--

I suspect that if we converted to Celsius, I soon would
be comfortable with the notion that

These ranges correspond roughly to my current feelings
about 60, 70, 80, 90, and 100 F.

Cindy Hamilton

Yup, straightforward isn't it!

I just know when on top of coal belt tower doing calibrations that -40
is colder than (fill in here) ...