Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] marc.dewick@gmail.com is offline

Default SOLVED How to remove washing machine weights

On Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 6:12:28 PM UTC+1, wrote:
Hi all

Though I would send an update in case anyone else faces this issue.. so.. initially I created a "tool" from a brass threaded bar (type you get in plumbing). I cut a notch out for the spring to locate into and found that turning the thread bar bent the spring so.... Putting a pipe in the middle of the thread (as close to internal diameter of the thread bar) and messing around a little got them all off. They were quite tricky so ended up releasing with some WD-40 and oil.

When I got to the bottom block, the plastic fitting seemed slightly wider making it virtually impossible to locate the pin in the slot. So... After spraying with WD-40 and oil I then found a socket which had the right diameter. Cut a slot in it and it worked like a dream. I suspect these weren't as tight as the others as this didn't distort the spring at all.

I haven't put everything back together yet but it a quick test revealed that you can put them back on with a wide bladed screwdriver as you now have to connect to the bottom end of the spring to rotate them. All very complex but got there in the end. Hope this helps someone.

If anyone needs any more details pls ping me.

[...]

Any pics of the DIY tool you put together ?
Unfortunately I have the same problem and have damaged the springs on the top weight - not started on the bottom weight as yet but have had to fork out for replacement springs from Hotpoint and they cannot provide a tool or instructions for removal / refitting !!!