Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to remove washing machine weights

Hi All,

Anyone have any idea how to remove the counter weights from the plastic drum on a hotpoint Aqualtis washing machine? Rather than the usual bolts, it appears to have a plastic sleeve with a spring inside it. Almost as if the role of the spring is to separate the pieces of the sleeve to increase the diameter and therefore hold onto the concrete.

Any help greatly appreciated - currently have washing machine in bits

thanks

Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi All,

Anyone have any idea how to remove the counter weights from the plastic drum on a hotpoint Aqualtis washing machine? Rather than the usual bolts, it appears to have a plastic sleeve with a spring inside it. Almost as if the role of the spring is to separate the pieces of the sleeve to increase the diameter and therefore hold onto the concrete.

Any help greatly appreciated - currently have washing machine in bits

thanks

Lee.

I fear those will be a one time push fit device to cheapen production.
Once on never off. There might be a special tool to compress them but I
bet the spring will be pretty strong for that application.

Good luck

After much searching I finally came across this video. It looks like it is in Russian but this is the thing. So anyone any ideas on how to fashion this special tool?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_BXT4m3eRI

thanks

Lee
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 04/06/2017 12:07, GB wrote:
On 04/06/2017 11:42, Bob Minchin wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Looks fairly easy in principle as you can get the removal end
dimensions from the spring in situ and then make the fitting end to
fit the spring once removed.
All depend what facilities you or local mates might have.
Always worth befriending a model engineer with lathe and mill.

Good luck

Fair bit of energy in those weights when the drum is spinning!

Sorry, that's a bit cryptic. What I meant is that I'd want to be 100%
sure the weights were secure at the end of the job. Perhaps the fact
they are impossible to remove without an expensive-looking tool is a
hint not to try?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default SOLVED How to remove washing machine weights

Hi all

Though I would send an update in case anyone else faces this issue.. so.. initially I created a "tool" from a brass threaded bar (type you get in plumbing). I cut a notch out for the spring to locate into and found that turning the thread bar bent the spring so.... Putting a pipe in the middle of the thread (as close to internal diameter of the thread bar) and messing around a little got them all off. They were quite tricky so ended up releasing with some WD-40 and oil.

When I got to the bottom block, the plastic fitting seemed slightly wider making it virtually impossible to locate the pin in the slot. So... After spraying with WD-40 and oil I then found a socket which had the right diameter. Cut a slot in it and it worked like a dream. I suspect these weren't as tight as the others as this didn't distort the spring at all.

I haven't put everything back together yet but it a quick test revealed that you can put them back on with a wide bladed screwdriver as you now have to connect to the bottom end of the spring to rotate them. All very complex but got there in the end. Hope this helps someone.

If anyone needs any more details pls ping me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 6 June 2017 18:12:28 UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

You could put this on the wiki maybe.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...achine_repairs

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 6:12:28 PM UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

Any pics of the DIY tool you put together ?
Unfortunately I have the same problem and have damaged the springs on the top weight - not started on the bottom weight as yet but have had to fork out for replacement springs from Hotpoint and they cannot provide a tool or instructions for removal / refitting !!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi! It's simple to make tools for removal and adding springs! It's take a few minutes of work. Link with pic's added.:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...RSah9JMqs-HzAN
Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...RSah9JMqs-HzAN
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2020 09:14, wrote:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...RSah9JMqs-HzAN

Was response to a post from 2017.

How to remove washing machine weights
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...-y/umFoPJ-XgEg

Clicking on random links on folks google drive, however. Erm, no.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The question is what are they made of?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
On 03/08/2020 09:14,
wrote:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...RSah9JMqs-HzAN

Was response to a post from 2017.

How to remove washing machine weights
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...-y/umFoPJ-XgEg

Clicking on random links on folks google drive, however. Erm, no.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 3 August 2020 20:28:30 UTC+1, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
The question is what are they made of?
Brian

concrete