Posted to uk.d-i-y
misterroy misterroy is offline

Default OT item about why the British won't pick fruit and veg.

On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 5:20:20 PM UTC, RJH wrote:
On 04/02/2018 22:11, dennis@home wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-engl...bs-in-cornwall

If they're in reasonable physical condition, they could do it. Even I
used to work in a factory over the summer, unloading pop from conveyor
belt to pallet. The only rest breaks were when the machine jammed. So by
that yardstick . . . :-)

I'd think the biggest issues for a lot of British people would be
housing (where they live in-season, and what happens to their permanent
home), social networks, and uncertainty of temporary work. For
relatively poor migrant workers these relatively basic needs are
compromised.

--
Cheers, Rob

I was either 11 or 12 when I learned that there were rules coming in that you had to be 13 to pick potatoes, I remember the disappointment.
Still got a couple days work for the two years I was under age though.