Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default OT item about why the British won't pick fruit and veg.

On 05/02/2018 11:01, tim... wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
On Mon, 5 Feb 2018 02:59:13 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

On 04/02/2018 23:11, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 4 Feb 2018 22:11:12 +0000, "dennis@home"
wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-engl...bs-in-cornwall

I saw a program a while back where they ran teams of British and EU
workers side by side (crop picking, building etc) and the Europeans
won out in every case.

Maybe when the current good ones go, we don't want to do it ourselves
and they get the second level Europeans in, the Brexiteers will
realise the extent of the damage they have inflicted on all of us.

There's no reason why we shouldn't import workers from anywhere in the
world if it suits us, once we regain our sovereignty.

Why don't we do that now then? The split of people coming here because
of the free movement of people and workers within the EU and those
already coming into this country via the std immigration / customers
controls are about the same (180k/a I think).

the difference is that 80% of the EU immigrants a
"unemployed seeking work" (with an entitlement to in-work benefits if
they find one)
and 80% of the ROW immigrants a
Highly skilled worker with a guaranteed job to go to
or
family member who will be financially supported by their family already
here
(with no entitlement to any benefits.)

in both cases having had to jump through multiple hoops to qualify for
that status.

tim

Well that may cause a problem as 2017 figures say 4% of EU born migrants
are on unemployment benefits while over 6% of immigrants from elsewhere
are on unemployment benefits so your 80% is probably another brexiteer lie.

The unemployment rate across the whole of the EU is apparently about
5.5% FWIW.

Just where did you get the figures from?

BTW the fall in the pound may affect things as there is less incentive
for a migrant to come to the UK if the value of the currency they can
send home to support their family is less.