Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill[_18_] Bill[_18_] is offline

Default OT item about why the British won't pick fruit and veg.

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
I once met a man set on developing a machine for picking
Blackcurrants:-)

Much horticultural research goes into developing hybrid varieties with
very narrow ripening periods. Thus aiding mechanised harvesting to the
annoyance of vegetable gardeners who want extended ripening so they can
enjoy a crop over a longer period.

Did he succeed with his blackcurrant machine?

My first holiday job was picking blackcurrants that went to Ribena.
Workers were, in those days, mainly local farm worker's wives. After a
week, I was taken aside by the farm owner and shown what I was costing
him and what the produce sold for. I was moved to the farm's sales area.

--
Bill