Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default OT item about why the British won't pick fruit and veg.

On Mon, 5 Feb 2018 02:59:13 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

On 04/02/2018 23:11, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 4 Feb 2018 22:11:12 +0000, "dennis@home"
wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-engl...bs-in-cornwall

I saw a program a while back where they ran teams of British and EU
workers side by side (crop picking, building etc) and the Europeans
won out in every case.

Maybe when the current good ones go, we don't want to do it ourselves
and they get the second level Europeans in, the Brexiteers will
realise the extent of the damage they have inflicted on all of us.

There's no reason why we shouldn't import workers from anywhere in the
world if it suits us, once we regain our sovereignty.

Why don't we do that now then? The split of people coming here because
of the free movement of people and workers within the EU and those
already coming into this country via the std immigration / customers
controls are about the same (180k/a I think).

By the same token,
will be better able to keep the dross out.

And other countries in the EU will be able to keep our dross out I'm
guessing?

Or maybe they will stiffen up the benefits system and force lazy UK
lifetime scroungers onto the owners and managers of farms, factories
and the NHS?

Eastern European workers have lower pay expectations.

They have the same pay expectations as native workers and that's set
by the minimum wage.

Increase the pay
to UK levels and UK workers will apply.

And you really believe 1) that will ever happen and 2) the employers
will be able to afford it?

Yes, veg will be slightly more
expensive.

Great.

So what? It's stupidly cheap now.

Then how come poorer people can't afford it now and end up with less
nutritious ready meals? Have you ever heard of food banks Bill and do
you realise how many people are currently using them every day?

What will actually happen ITRW is we will buy *all* our produce from
abroad, rather than just much of it.

Oh hang on, that wouldn't be acceptable to the Brexiteers ... they are
still 'foreigners'. ;-(

Brexiteers are all in favour of foreigners,

Bwhahahaha. The two leavers that both my wife and daughter voted
against were both racists and disliked *all* foreigners.

as long as they are the ones
that bring benefits to us.

And as long as those of us are beneficial to them I'm guessing? We
could see over a million burdensome pensioners back from Spain when we
leave the EU?

The skilled, intelligent, hard working ones.

Assuming they still want to come you mean, under the circumstances? If
EU workers are already leaving simply because they don't feel wanted
here, do you think people will start coming back after we have left
(when it's more difficult and expensive to do so and with fewer rights
and guarantees)?

We aren't though in favour of foreigners that want to exploit our social
security and health systems.

And all of those are coming in legally or from the EU are they? What
percentage of 'foreigners' are doing that compared with natives? Do
you have any stats on that so we can see the problem in perspective
(I'm guessing you do or you wouldn't state such a thing). Or doesn't
it matter if they are lifelong scroungers as long as their DNA is X%
'British? (Given the average Brit has a DNA that is 60% 'European')?

We want more immigration of good people and
less immigration of deadlegs.

OK, I can see how that is a good idea in an ideal world but how would
you deal with those who are here (legally) now?

What improvement do you think it will make to the status quo?

Cheers, T i m