Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Opposed piston Diesel engines / was interesting engines

On Fri, 02 Feb 2018 20:21:24 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Fri, 02 Feb 2018 16:48:22 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 02 Feb 2018 16:44:00 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Fri, 02 Feb 2018 06:51:30 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Thu, 01 Feb 2018 16:16:41 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Thu, 01 Feb 2018 09:27:41 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Thu, 01 Feb 2018 11:43:32 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

Be prepared to see Achates opposed piston multi-fuel engines in light
trucks within 5 years. they are 2 stroke turbo-compounded engines with
INSANE torque that fit into the same space as a common inline engine
like a cummins, or V8 like a Powerstroke.

Like the Kei cars in Japan? I've been seeing 440cc and 660cc engines
listed in Toyota Car and Truck shows lately.

I wonder if they could support generators for massive electric car
range extension. That might be the clincher for selling electric cars
to the masses, even though 90%+ of people don't need that kind of
range.

Rather than rebuilding my 4.7L Toyota engine next decade, should it
need it, I'd rather put the money into an electric motor and
batteries.

That's what I did with my 1975 Fiat 128L coupe back in about 1980. It
wasn't the most dependable ride, but it was sure better than when it
was FIAT powered - - -

I can believe that. Where'd you put the batteries? Range?
Performance? What motor?

Military surplusaircraft generator for motor,

That's cool how generators can be used as motors.

6 GC2h batteries in the
trunk where the fueltank used to be and 2 under the hood withthe motor

That probably balanced the load pretty well.

It was still a bit light on the front, and I added a fiat station
wagon spring on the rear

Those were pre-airbag times, weren't they?

50 miles at 30mph, 30 miles at 50mph, running through the 4 speed
manual trans with no clutch and a simple stepped resistance controller
with series/parallel switching and field weakening.

That's not bad for old-school. Did you rig up an accelerator pedal,
or use hand controls? Toggles and a BAN? (big ass knob

It was all done with a drum switch from an old forklift, rewired and
connected to the accellerator pedal through a spring, which allowed
the linkage to work the rheostat when it reached the end of the drum
switch travel. The 24/48 switching was done with a few big-assed
diodes and a single contactor.

Pretty cool.

24 volts through resistor to 24 without resisrtor, to 48 with resistor
to 48 without resistor, to reduced field current through rheostat.

So, 4 power ranges with some variability plus the tranny to change
speed ranges. That sounds like it probably worked pretty well. Massive
wirewounds? What kind of horsepower would it kick out? Any idea?

The resistors were made of 16? guage stainless steel sheet about 1
1/4 inches wide, about18 inches? long. Actually there were two
resistor stages - full resistance, half resistance, no resistance

Less than a few ohms apiece? How did you think to use that?

128s weighed 1,800ish, and probably not much change swapping out heavy
gas and engine for batteries. Those remind me of the very early
Datsuns, the first Japanese cars here in the '60s.

It was about 100 lbs heavier after removing sound deadening, exhaust,
fuelsystem, engine, etc.
This was the sporty little coupe body - looked pretty sweet but even
though less than 5 years old it had a fair bit of "metal worm"
infestation.

I've heard about those places which cause that to happen to vehicles
and I've chosen to avoid living in them, TYVM. Snow is fun to watch
-others- live with, but rust is something I don't want to know about.

Stoop and you'll be stepped on;
stand tall and you'll be shot at.
-- Carlos A. Urbizo