Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Video door entry which displays on TV - possible?

On Wed, 31 Jan 2018 21:03:51 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

Has anyone come across a video door entry system which uses an existing
television for the display? My M-I-L wants a door entry system which
allows her to see the visitor before unlocking the door but any 'extra'
display hardware really isn't practical.

Display on mobile phone is no good because it probably won't be to hand
and is too small (so she'd need to find her glasses as well as the
phone). A dedicated display doesn't make much sense either, there's
really not space for it anywhere.

It would make *much* more sense to be enable to interrupt the TV
display, it's always on and the *important* thing is that it's when
M-I-L is in easy chair in front of the TV that it takes her a long time
to get up and get to the front door.

Any ideas anyone?

On a side note, where do you want to position the camera.

I have noted that cold caller such as chuggers and (I assume) ex-prisoners
ring the bell, knock, then stand well back from the porch.

I did assume that this was to leave loads of personal space and so not
appear threatening in any way.

However reading this thread, it would also move the caller out of the
range of a downward pointing camera.

Cheers

Dave R

---