Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Opposed piston Diesel engines / was interesting engines

On Thu, 01 Feb 2018 11:43:32 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Thu, 1 Feb 2018 06:40:17 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Friday, September 10, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, DANKIRLIN wrote:
Fairbanks Morse used opposed piston engines in many railway engines that they
built in Beloit, and in Canada at Canadian Locomotive Company ( CLC ) in
Kingston Ontario. They first used these engines in marine applications where
they engine was mounted horizontally thereby providing access to both
crankshafts and bearings etc.

In railway locomotives, the engines where mounted verticaly which made access
to the bottom crank and bearings, a very time consuming process, and ultimately
the higher maintenance cost of this design led to very early retirements of
these engines. For railway use, this design was offered in the following sizes

6 cylinder / 1000 HP
6 cylinder / 1200 HP ( refinement od above )
8 cylinder / 1600 HP
10 cylinder / 2000 HP
12 cylinder / 2400 HP

Regards

Dan Kirlin
Waterloo, Ontario

We had two of their next to the very smallest 10 cylinder engines aboard my frigate that drove our 500KW auxiliary generators. They were louder than all get out.

Be prepared to see Achates opposed piston multi-fuel engines in light
trucks within 5 years. they are 2 stroke turbo-compounded engines with
INSANE torque that fit into the same space as a common inline engine
like a cummins, or V8 like a Powerstroke.

Like the Kei cars in Japan? I've been seeing 440cc and 660cc engines
listed in Toyota Car and Truck shows lately.

I wonder if they could support generators for massive electric car
range extension. That might be the clincher for selling electric cars
to the masses, even though 90%+ of people don't need that kind of
range.

Rather than rebuilding my 4.7L Toyota engine next decade, should it
need it, I'd rather put the money into an electric motor and
batteries.

-

butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet,
balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying,
take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations,
analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a
tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is
for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein