Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default How to have several identical wireless doorbells respond to the same code?

On Thu, 1 Feb 2018 12:11:21 +0000, (Roger Hayter)

On 2018-01-30, MM wrote:
On 29 Jan 2018 14:29:04 GMT, Huge wrote:

Ethernet over mains sucks syphilitic donkey dick.

No, it doesn't.

Yes it does.

You're wrong.

You're killfiled. My experience might be different to yours. But I am
not "wrong".

Never? Ever?

He is clearly wrong in this instance as there are millions of people
using them every day and with no issues.

Now, if we start to drill down into the specific situation where
people have had issues or not found them to be as good as other
solutions then that's different.

I was asked to provide Internet access for a family friend who lived
in a large house that was originally two houses that had been joined
together. The issues was the two building parts were on two CU's and
so PL wouldn't work without 'bridging' the two CU's. So, I used PL to
get a WiFi signal as near as I could to the remote PC and then WiFi to
do the last bit. Once setup, there were no other issues. Was it
'fast', no, but it was faster than their Broadband at the time and so
that was all that really mattered.

As mentioned elsewhere, anyone who doesn't find something works well
*for them* might suggest that in their statements or state under what
circumstances it didn't work for them or why they may *prefer*
something else.

Few would argue that bounded Ethernet isn't going to be the *best*
solution but that's only going to be the case if the user is willing
or able to run such cable though their building.

I ran some Thin Ethernet in Heathrow T4 and they needed a specific
(Belden) cable (I think) that had a secondary foil screen because of
the high levels of RF / Radar that was about. Had I not used the
'right cable' I could easily say that 'Thin Ethernet sucked' when it
was clearly the result of the location. The fully loaded 8 port Thin
Ethernet repeater I installed at a previous job never had any issues
at all using standard RG-58C/U.

Cheers, T i m