Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electronics help

ss presented the following explanation :
As for the 3A fuse, looking at the remains of the old one would I be correct
in saying it was in the form of an upside down U shape, as I see there are 2
points of damage, the remains of a glass fuse and then the longish wire with
just a cap on it, I presume these were connected at one point and I basically
bridge that gap with the fuse.

It looks as if the wire ended fuse was mounted vertically, with the
upper wire folded over and back down to the PCB. Often they design
PCB's with component options. In this case it looks as if it might have
been designed for a fuseholder, but to save a few pennies they used a
wire ended fuse direct to the PCB.