Darrell

Default A/C & Heater Replacement??

BC wrote: "You do realize that Tempstar is Carrier now don't you?"

Yes I did read that Tempstar sold to International Comfort Products
(ICP) or Carrier about 2 years ago. I also understood that Tempstar
didn't change a thing they are operating as normal.

BC wrote: "Its real nice when you can service 5 different brand NAMES
with ONE line of part,"

Now BC if you do a little research you'll find that Carrier and
Tempstar do not have interchangeable parts. Tempstar and Heil are
interchangeable but not the later.

BC wrote: "you can stick with a proven performer? Plus, an R22
replacement that is all but identical in performance is on the market
now."

Very good! Of all the research I did, I remember hearing of a
hydrocarbon replacement to fluorocarbon based refrigerants or blends
of, but didn't give it much thought based on Copeland-Scroll's
acceptance of R410a. You see rather than just dismissing R410a off
the cuff a little information can go a long way! I really like, if
true, that Europe is widely using hydrocarbon refrigerants. I respect
the Europeans choices and own many things built by Europeans, like
Bosch.

http://www.elgas.com.au/commercial/care.htm

BC wrote: "Why in hell would you do that? That's a scumbag hacks
routine."

Not true, when you have a product you like and become an expert at
installing and repairing it makes sense to limit your practice to one
product. Just like a surgeon limits himself to the heart he would
refer you to a brain surgeon. Bottom-line is that Trane, American
Standard, Lennox and Carrier are going to run well when installed
properly. All I know is that the Trane unit I stood in front of was
louder than the Carrier MVP or CVA.

BC wrote: "The best prices normally come from a company, or
independent, that's about to
go belly up or is one payment from the gutter."

Fair statement but isn't that a risk in any business transaction? I
was referred to the contractor, I spent 30 minutes with him at my home
while he did, like you, some calculations and I liked him. I do
business with people I like.

BC wrote: "Most people, sadly, don't understand enough about the
operation of the unit to figure out why the heat exchanger cracked
after only 5 years of use...."

What would cause this? I wasn't under the impression a contractor
couldn't screw up a replacement to the point it would fail early. I
know of several new installs that were terrible. Tell us BC what
should we look out for?

BC wrote: "I bet he could have installed that unit for about
$850....so why didn't he?"

I think you answered your own question with "I found out that the
price shoppers literally ended up costing me more than the ones that
understood what this thing called profit is." My guess is that the
unit costs around $800, the rest is labor, profit and margin.

BC wrote: "you give the estimate to the customer, and never hear from
them again,"

My Carrier Commercial engineer is faced with this dilemma daily. He
tells me some brilliant sales questions that have increased his
success ten fold. Something like "Now if your going to shop me and
use my calculations, will you give me an opportunity to match the
competitions price if … IF it's lower." Create some doubt before they
go shopping you just might get the job with a subtle close. I
personally went with the person who I felt was genuine and NOT digging
for gold. You see I don't know whether the $3300 price was gold
digging or just his price to remain profitable.

BC wrote: "Then, on the other hand, there are times that we give stuff
away."

Fantastic, but how do I know your price covers these charitable
actions? I don't unless you ask me to nominate someone for your
annual give away. Even If I don't nominate someone at least I know
your giving back to the community and maybe that is enough for me to
do business with you regardless of your price.

Finally, I think what were talking about here is granny smith apples
v. red delicious apples. When the farmers takes great care in growing
either the apple tastes delicious and is good for me. Likewise even
though I'm biased toward Carrier I'm sure that Trane whether it's
noise level is 1 decibel higher or lower, is a competent choice, IF
installed correctly.

Darrell

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by
the tail and face the situation. -- WCF
http://www.utahhousevalues.com