Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill Wright[_3_] Bill Wright[_3_] is offline

Default Video door entry which displays on TV - possible?

On 31/01/2018 21:03, Chris Green wrote:
Has anyone come across a video door entry system which uses an
existing television for the display? My M-I-L wants a door entry
system which allows her to see the visitor before unlocking the door
but any 'extra' display hardware really isn't practical.

Display on mobile phone is no good because it probably won't be to
hand and is too small (so she'd need to find her glasses as well as
the phone). A dedicated display doesn't make much sense either,
there's really not space for it anywhere.

It would make *much* more sense to be enable to interrupt the TV
display, it's always on and the *important* thing is that it's when
M-I-L is in easy chair in front of the TV that it takes her a long
time to get up and get to the front door.

Any ideas anyone?

Quite separate from the door entry device, how about a little bullet
camera (or one with IR, or whatever) feeding into an AV input on the
telly? She'd need to know how to select the AV input but I expect she
could be trained. The cam could be positioned to make the best use of
the available light, which often means that the view of the caller is a
profile, which is OK I've found. Cam could be disguised if necessary.

Bill