Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bar Clamp Pad Options?

On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 09:40:15 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 10:50:36 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 1/30/2018 9:22 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I'm getting way too much exercise from bending over to pick up the rubber pads for my bar
clamps. I can't find anything that will keep them secured to the clamp. Hot glue doesn't work,
doubled sided tape doesn't work, a loop of Gorilla tape doesn't work.

I've got round "caps" for the smart ends and U shaped slip ons for the dumb end. Unless the
pad actually clips onto the clamp, it constantly falls off.

I've read about using adhesive backed cork as a more permanent solution. Before I spend the
time cutting and securing the cork...

1 - Is that a good solution?
2 - Is there a way to keep the rubber pads on? Some kind of degreaser for both the pad
and clamp and then some type of adhesive that works for both materials?

(I use wooden cauls/pads when appropriate. I'm just asking about keeping the rubber pads on
so I don't have to chase them around the shop anymore.)

Thanks!

That is one of the exact reasons that I went with the parallel K-body
style clamps. The plastic covers do not come off. Be careful with the
Jet style, their plastic heads are a bit hard.

Thanks, but replacing all of my clamps is not an option.

My projects *cost* me money, not *make* me money.

Then, there is no ROI to figure into the picture. ;-)