Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default Dripping toilet

Tim+ wrote:

Roger Hayter wrote:
Chris J Dixon wrote:

Roger Hayter wrote:

Chris J Dixon wrote:

Roger Hayter wrote:

DerbyBorn wrote:

Stop taps don't regulate pressure - only flow. The static pressure
remains the same.

Oh really? The main outside my house is at 11bar pressure (static, due
to hill) and immediately downstream of my stopcock, and in the same
access space, is an adjustable regulator set to 4bar, although the
technicians who changed it recently set it to 3bar.

So you agree, the stop tap is not regulating pressure, it is done
(surprise) by the regulator?

Indeed; which is why I said it was regulated "at" the stopcock, and
didn't say it was regulated "by" the stopcock.

So, what were you intending to convey by "Oh really?"

IME the phrase is generally used preceding a contrary statement.

Chris

I was replying to "the pressure remains the same", and didn't realise
you were so literally referring to the tap itself rather than all supply
equipment. I thought you were claiming that individual customers did
not have a regulated supply. Sorry I misunderstood. I didn't realise
you were actually telling me that taps don't regulate pressure, because
it is sort of obvious.

Certainly is once it was pointed out to you.

Just out of interest, what percentage of households have "supply equipment"
in the street? I've never lived anywhere with anything more sophisticated
than a stopcock in the street. I'd hazard a guess that this probably
applies to 99% of households (but I could be wrong).

Anyone know?

Tim

I don't know either. But the point of the original comment is that most
people have regulated mains if they don't have their own house
regulater. And this makes sense of the OP's symptoms being due to
change in pressure. It wouldn't make sense if the mains pressure was
changing all the time anyway. I share your interest in how common our
arrangement is, though!

--

Roger Hayter