Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bar Clamp Pad Options?

On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 3:29:59 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

Thinking back.....I do recall someone using rare earth magnets to attach
a wooden pad to their bar clamps. It some how stuck on the side or back
so that the magnet would not be crushed. Something to think about.

I saw that on another site, somewhere. The poster took a drill and drilled the correct size to match his magnets and put a hole into the clamp faces just deep enough to hold his neodymium magnets in place with epoxy. Made a wood pad out of softwood, and simply pressed the magnet into the face side. The pads were about 3/8" to 1/2" thick and he used tiny magnets. According to him it worked great. Don't see why it wouldn't.

You might try this for less fuss. Find it somewhere where you can return it if it doesn't work. A lot of hardware stores carry the Household Goop. I have used it on other things and it can really hold well if the surfaces are pretty clean:

http://www.thistothat.com/cgi-bin/gl...nyl&that=Metal

Since all my clamps have vinyl faces, I have looked for a solution myself. The vinyl gets old, stretched out, then lost. As it is, I look like a real pro out there with my clamp pads kept in place with duct tape.

Robert