Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default Install electric hob above washing machine?

On 30/01/2018 21:40, newshound wrote:
On 30/01/2018 20:24, Roger Hayter wrote:
ARW wrote:

On 30/01/2018 19:30, GB wrote:
On 30/01/2018 18:43, Robin wrote:
On 30/01/2018 18:05, GB wrote:
The only way I can get the kitchen layout to work is to install the
electric hob above the washing machine. I can see it's not ideal, but
is it allowed? Any extra precautions I could take, eg install some
sort of vapour barrier?

I'd be surprised if there'd be enough clearance with all hobs and all
w/ms to leave the manufacturer's minimum clearance.Â* So might
constrain your choice of replacements.

I didn't even know the manufacturers specified a minimum clearance!

They have installation manuals!

And for bouncy things like washing machines it is probably quite a good
idea.

These days washing machines don't bounce much. The only downside I can
see is that your worktop might have to be half an inch higher than
normal. (And IMHO there is a reasonable case for slightly higher worktops).

Most hobs don't protrude below a 30 mm worktop and I have not seen one
that protrudes below a 40 mm worktop.

You might struggle with a 20 mm "granite" one like mine.

The kitchen units usually have adjustable legs so increasing the height
isn't difficult when fitting.