Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Install electric hob above washing machine?

On Tuesday, 30 January 2018 21:17:53 UTC, GB wrote:
On 30/01/2018 18:43, Robin wrote:
On 30/01/2018 18:05, GB wrote:
The only way I can get the kitchen layout to work is to install the
electric hob above the washing machine. I can see it's not ideal, but
is it allowed? Any extra precautions I could take, eg install some
sort of vapour barrier?

I'd be surprised if there'd be enough clearance with all hobs and all
w/ms to leave the manufacturer's minimum clearance.Â* So might constrain
your choice of replacements.

Thanks for the advice. I have had a look at a few hobs now - I hadn't
got to the detail of the installation manuals previously - and you're
clearly right that there's a potential problem.

It looks like it might be a good idea to extend the legs on the base
units a bit when installing them. And choose chunky worktop.

If all else fails, you can get height reduction kits for washing
machines - a flat metal plate to replace the normal lid. I actually have
the T shirt for that one already.

I don't see a problem with a hob above a WM. If you don't like the resulting height you can get reduced size WMs if necessary. If you mount the hob on the machine it can stir while you cook.

NT