Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Finishing Mahogany Exterior Door

On 1/29/18 1:11 PM, wrote:
This question is a bit like one of my previous clients I ran into
over the weekend. "Hey Robert... I have an office in my wife's
dental practice and I want the ceilings torn off, I *think* they are
acoustic tile over sheetrock, but it could be tile over plywood.
Also, I need the walls stripped off and the cabinets removed so I
can upgrade the walls to new hold new free hanging cabinets. Oh
yeah, and a couple three new plugs. How much will that cost?"

Let your mind wonder.

So, since finishing/refinishing is certainly part of what I do, I
would ask this: Clear coat or paint? (Why hasn't that been asked?)
What shape is the door in? Need a lot of prep? Need to be puttied,
have surface work done? Does it have panels? How many? Does it
have glass in it? Can the glass come out easily or will it have to
be taped off?

Clear coat. If it was paint, I wouldn't be here, asking. :-)

Brand new door- perfect condition. Some holes need puttied-- not sure
why installer didn't do that. Lots of glass panels, including glass
sidelights. Probably taped off.

What kind of finish will the door owner tolerate? The smell of oil
based products will linger in the house for days. Some people have
now decided that even latex paint fumes can bring on delirium. With
that in mind, the $1200 guy may have decided to take the door off
and take it to his shop for finishing to get that "factory" finish.
If so, like me he probably puts a plywood barrier across the door
hole while the actual door is off site. Some of my clients have
loved the convenience of having me pick up the door, block the entry
and be gone in 30 minutes, then return in a week with a finished door
that I put back up and install the hardware and it's finished.

So, what kind of finish, how much prep, what style door, and on or
off site finish, and how will it be applied?

Robert

I suppose I could take the door with me, but I'd still have the frame
and sidelights/trim to finish. The whole thing is newly installed and
raw mahogany.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)