Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Does retrofitting mcbs into an older wylex "fuse wire" consumer unit need notification?

Well, when we had our house redon in the 70s, we moved the retro fitted
circuit breakers into the new unit, since the pitch of the blades was
identical.
I have had breakers go, so am glad its not fuses now I am blind.

The most common one to go is a lighting circuit, when either an old
fashioned filament bulb goes short or a meltdown occurs in the psu of a plug
in replacement low energy.
I had to laugh though at one point as I bought a very early cfl bulb from
B/Q and put it into the hall. Went out leaving it on. Came back to darkness
and the tube on the carpet, still intact and the power supply/bayonet bit
looking decidedly melted with two wirees sticking out of it. The cut out
had indeed tripped and no real harm done. I took it back and they had
already got a big cardboard box full of similarly melted items. They gave me
an Ozram pair of bulbs for the trouble. I bet whoever made those got a
decent sized rocket up their posterior
Brian.

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"dennis@home" wrote in message
On 29/01/2018 13:05, jim wrote:

Does retrofitting mcbs into an older wylex "fuse wire" consumer
unit need notification?

The plug in ones don't have the same breaking capacity as te fuse wire so
you may need to check they are OK.

But why bother? I haven't had a fuse wire go in 30 years so fitting MCBs
would be a waste of time IMO.