Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT(ish) - delivery from eBay of small electronic components

On Friday, 26 January 2018 11:01:27 UTC, Fredxx wrote:
On 25/01/2018 21:19, Roger Hayter wrote:
Dave W wrote:

On 22/01/2018 10:23, dennis@home wrote:
On 22/01/2018 07:10, wrote:

I don't treat them as a source at all. Last time I went there they
were selling leads for north of £20 a piece. I can pay a tenth of
that elsewhere.

If they are HDMI then they are £1 in poundland.

Yes but the HDMI lead I bought from Poundland led to strange things
happening because the internal wires had no screening or twisting. I
eventually went crestfallen to pay Maplin's ransome. I minimised this by
being adamant with the salesman I didn't need gold plating.

Actually (decent) gold plating is quite a good idea for signal integrity
medium/long term. But *only* if the mating socket is gold plated.
Which most of them aren't.

Most gold plating is a very thin layer,

Yes it's amazing how cheap gold foil can be having brought some gold foil that I'm trying to stick to an electroscope !!!!