Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Grr... CH system and braided hose bother

On 23/01/2018 21:40, Tim+ wrote:
Im getting an awful feeling of déj* vu today.

I was round at my mothers flushing her CH system when she commented that
the bathroom radiator/towel rail didnt get hot.

Having checked that it was full of water and that it wouldnt get hot even
when it was the only radiator switched on in the system I established by
bleeding it whilst opening the two valves in turn that there was no flow or
continuity through one leg of the radiator.

I went under the floor of the flat (easy to do via a basement entrance) and
tried to trace the plumbing. With a sinking heart I spotted that a section
of braided flexible pipe had been used for a tricky connection. Its
almost certainly going to be a ******* to replace as it disappears under
the bathroom floor and access is extremely limited.

Thisll be the second time Ive been cursed with inappropriate use of
braided (probably Speedfit) hoses in a CH system. The last time was on my
Myson kickspace heater.

Lest there is any doubt, these fecking hoses are NOT for use in CH systems!
Speedfit website clearly says so. Do not let any plumber fit them in your
house.

/end grumble.

Tim

Speedfit ones may not be, but Myson kickspace heaters defintely used to
come with braided flexis - I helped my father fit one about 20 years ago
and it is still running fine.

SteveW