Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default A question for wire fencing experts

On 23/01/2018 22:37, dennis@home wrote:
On 23/01/2018 18:34, wrote:
I need to fence a 70m boundary, mainly to stop a dog from straying but
also as a security deterrent. The land is reasonably flat for about
80% of the distance and then slopes down at about 20 degrees. The
fence will run through trees so won't be visible. I haven't erected a
fence before so I'd appreciate some guidance.
My plan is to use 6ft galvanized stakes, with 2ft in postcrete and 4ft
above ground, and with suitable braces at the ends and changes of
direction or slope. The fencing will be 4ft (1220) galvanized welded
mesh, supported by 3 or 4 lengths of HT wire woven through the mesh
and tensioned between the stakes.

Is this sensible? Is there a better (i.e. easier, cheaper, or more
effective) way of doing it?

Put the straining wires in first and then use fencing crimps (hog rings)
to attach the fence as you unroll it.

https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/...g-stapler.html

Agreed, that's probably the easiest method if you are doing it single
handed. You will need a tool for the straining wire.

Four foot won't stop a dog unless you chain it down.
It certainly won't stop a person.

Of the many dogs I have owned, there's only one (a greyhound) that would
get over that. If they want to get through, badgers will easily dig
under it, making enough room for a fox or terrier. When I had that
problem once, I "staked" each side of the hole so that it was badger/fox
sized, but not collie sized (and that kept in a collie terrier cross
that liked digging a lot).

I've never known a spaniel, retriever, or labrador that would jump four
feet (although they could no doubt be trained to do so).