Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A question for wire fencing experts

On 23/01/2018 19:34, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 18:34:26 +0000, wrote:

I need to fence a 70m boundary, mainly to stop a dog from straying but
also as a security deterrent. The land is reasonably flat for about 80%
of the distance and then slopes down at about 20 degrees. The fence will
run through trees so won't be visible. I haven't erected a fence before
so I'd appreciate some guidance.
My plan is to use 6ft galvanized stakes, with 2ft in postcrete and 4ft
above ground, and with suitable braces at the ends and changes of
direction or slope. The fencing will be 4ft (1220) galvanized welded
mesh, supported by 3 or 4 lengths of HT wire woven through the mesh and
tensioned between the stakes.

How big is the dog? I expect galvanised stakes last longer but are more
expensive than pressure treated 4x4 timber stakes so it is really
dependent on how often you are prepared to maintain it.

Is this sensible? Is there a better (i.e. easier, cheaper, or more
effective) way of doing it?

I'm no expert on fencing, but all that sounds a bit OTT to me just for
a dog. Why not use standard pig netting or similar stock fencing
http://bit.ly/2rzbHVl , strung between proper pressure-treated wooden
posts, driven in with manual post driver/thumper http://bit.ly/2n6AeMZ
or hire a portable mechanical driver like this http://bit.ly/2F5ByWS

+1 although it isn't all that stock proof if there are cows about and
they decide there is something on your side they want to eat...

I have seen cows clear a full scale 3 bar fence barbed wire and all
chased off by the allotment owner but not before they trashed his beans
and cabbages. A single spar along the top and a line of barbed wire will
discourage them but if they decide to go for it all bets are off.

You might also want to put a finer grade of chicken wire lower down and
buried to keep rabbits out if you intend to have a garden or vegetable
patch. Just one rabbit can do a surprising amount of damage overnight.

As TNP has pointed out a thin wire virtual fence and an active collar
would be a lot less effort if it is just to keep the dog in.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown