Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Spencer Mike Spencer is offline

Default Lifting Stuff

SteamboatEd Haas writes:

Is that BX22 practical to excavate rocky ground?
http://www.tractordata.com/backhoe-l...tachments.html

Good question. Sure you can pick up boulders with the backhoe but
the standard bucket is only 12" wide. As for weight I suppose a
couple hundred pounds could be lifted out of a trench. By 'rocky
ground' I think as long as it's not concrete you could scratch your
way beneath the surface without too much trouble.

I've used one of these several times. If you have rocks, say, smaller
than your head, no problem or, at worst, slow going. Much bigger rocks
you'll have to detour around or excavate all around and winch out.

Trench for underground 200 amp power supply to my shop has a zig in
it, a detour around a rock ca. the size of a 20" CRT monitor.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada