Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Moisture barriers and Wifi

On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 00:48:00 +0000, Roger Hayter wrote:

A separate WiFi access point, with an ethernet connection (upstairs
ceiling mounted with POE is quite labour saving) ...

Provided the ceiling plasterboards aren't foil backed, in the loft
central ish over the building outline is less obtrusive.

I bet that most peoples trouble with WiFi coverage is down to poor
placement, RF wise, of the AP. Mainly beacuse of the "one box"
modem/router/switch/AP solution. It gets plonked within 6' of a phone
socket and shoved somewhere out of the way so ends up in far flung
corner of the house and partly buried under other stuff.

... and its own SSID overcomes most of the disadvantages of an extender.

Even better if you have it on a different channel, so both APs can
talk at the same time. Why do you have a different SSID? To get
coverage here I've two APS, on different channels but same SSID,
devices seamlessly switch between them.

--
Cheers
Dave.