Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Moisture barriers and Wifi

On 22/01/2018 18:35, pamela wrote:
On 16:32 22 Jan 2018, Huge wrote:

On 2018-01-22, Another Dave wrote:
On 22/01/18 16:22, T i m wrote:

Use a Poweline adaptor to put a hotspot in your study or carry
on with the router acting as a hotspot etc?

Basically that's what I've done. I've attached the old router
to a powerline adapter and use it as an access point.

Powerline ethernet sucks syphilitic donkey dick.

That's seems like a remarkably fair assessment judging by my own
experience with Netgear repeaters to feed Internet into my
smart telly.

However isn't a Powerline-connected wifi repeater going to be better
than a wireless wifi repeater?

Usually yes. It also does not halve the throughput of the wifi as the
budget single radio wifi repeaters do.

I'm interested in this because my mum's room in a care home can't get
their wifi signal, which means we can't help her Skype to other
people. Despite paying gazillions of pounds per hour in care home
fees, I think we may have to provide the equipment to get the wifi
signal to her room.

It might work - although depending on the wiring configuration you could
have difficulties (say if the building has 3 phase).

I'm not sure what's the best approach.

Something like:

https://www.ebuyer.com/759306-tp-lin...a4220kit-v1-20

Can work well in applications like that - it gives you both wired and
wireless at the remote end. Pretty quick and easy to setup.

--
Cheers,

John.