Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Moisture barriers and Wifi

On 22/01/18 16:32, Huge wrote:
On 2018-01-22, Another Dave wrote:
On 22/01/18 16:22, T i m wrote:

Use a Poweline adaptor to put a hotspot in your study or carry on with
the router acting as a hotspot etc?

Basically that's what I've done. I've attached the old router to a
powerline adapter and use it as an access point.

Powerline ethernet sucks syphilitic donkey dick.

Well it works but its only half duplex. And its shared. It's like going
back to 10base T coax. Only one person can use it in one direction at a
a time.

That was true back in the early naughties with the original CSMA/CD 14
Mbps PHY implementation. Not so for the current stuff - especially
HomePlug AV2 that has MIMO and can get real world throughput at over 500
Mbps

It works but its no substitute for CAT 5

It may not be as good as CAT5 - but its clearly a substitute in many
circumstances where you don't have CAT5 ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.