Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does she need a bigger breaker box?

On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 21:43:43 -0500, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 22 Jan 2018 20:15:24 -0500,
wrote:

On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 19:37:53 -0500, micky
wrote:

Yes. I said I wouldn't know until I saw her again Thursday night.

But my guess is that someone told her she'd need one, having selling the
house in mind, and she's thinking she might as well not wait until then,
since prices go up and she can get the "benefit" of the upgrade while
she lives there. I think I said I'd be surprised if she's tripping
breakers.

If her current panel is getting the job done and she is not planning
on buying a spa or something what added "benefit" does he expect for
her $2000-$3000?

That's why I put it in quotes. She said "eventually", so maybe that's
just before she goes to sell it. Or maybe someone who thinks
everything always needs upgrading told her hers does. Or maybe an
electrician or handyman was trying to sell an unneeded product.

Maybe someone was just going to replace the 60 amp breaker with a 100
amp breaker, repaint the door panel, and charge her $900?

Or maybe that was someone's plan but before she did it, she would check
with electricians and not get hoodwinked.

If they just need to pull in a set of new service conductors and swap
the breaker, it would be less. Most of the labor on an upgrade is in
swapping the panel and getting everything hooked back up. Seldom do
all of the wires reach the new breaker slots. If you get permits you
are also going to be replacing most of the breakers with AFCIs.
I am still curious about how you got there. Did you ever answer if
there is a separate service drop coming to that meter from the PoCo?