Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Does she need a bigger breaker box?

On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 21:35:34 -0500, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 22 Jan 2018 21:17:49 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 20:11:28 -0500, micky
wrote:

Every place I've ever lived is in nicer condition now than it was when I
lived there. (They were always in the same condition when I moved out as
when I moved in.) Except where I live now. I'm counting on the next
owners to fix it up again.

Then Natural Gas became available and Ontario Hydro priced itself out
of the market.

Privatization, as Hydro One made it incrementally worse - - -

The first house I lived in was a little stone house that had been
neglected for over 50 years. Lived there about a year - it has now got
several additions around it and is about a 1 million dollar country
home.
The next big concrete farmhouse is still standing, surrounded by a
gravel pit. The third farmhouse is still standing (last I saw it about
3 years ago) but looking a bit forlorn.
The apartment over the store in St Jacobs is still there - don't know
if it is still an apartment or not - downtown of a tourist town.

Next home, the first my parents owned, was purchased at 88 years of
age with no central heat, no indoor plumbing, and only a dropcord in
each room for lights and one receptacle in the kitchen.
25 years later when Dad sold it was one of the nicer homes on the
street,,and 40 years later it was bulldozed for the lot and a pair of
semis built.

What do you mean, semis built?

Semi detached houses built in place of the single detatched

A semi-detatched is two houses sharing one wall.

The first house I bought I fixed up some in the years I owned it -
likely about the same shape now 37 years later.

My wife's house, where I moved when I got married, now has a big
addition and is likely a 650,000 house.

I am still living in the house we bought 37 years ago, which is in
about the same shape as when I bought it - with windows, entry door,
roof, electrical panel, furnace, etc replaced as required.