Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default Moisture barriers and Wifi

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 16:16:15 +0000, Another Dave wrote:

My 1920s house is L-shaped and because of its geometry the Wifi signal
has to go outside and then back in to get to my study where all my
computers and cool stuff are.

So your study is at the end of one leg of the L and the WiFi AP at
the end of the other leg? Try moving the AP to the outer corner of
where the two legs meet, so the signal can pass down both legs.

If at all possible cable it, in fact cable everything if at all
possible. I'd not use a Powerline device, they chuck out far too much
wideband RF noise. A WiFi extender instantly halves the though put.
Main AP transmits a packet, then has to remain silent whilst the
extender re-transmits that packet. Note: This is throughput, the WiFi
devices may well still report 300 Mbps(*) (or WHY) connections.

(*) "300 Mbps", the total raw bit rate, ie 150 Mbps up 150 Mbps down,
then take away the overheads...

A separate WiFi access point, with an ethernet connection (upstairs
ceiling mounted with POE is quite labour saving) and its own SSID
overcomes most of the disadvantages of an extender.

--

Roger Hayter