Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Does she need a bigger breaker box?

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 23 Jan 2018 01:05:00 -0000, "James Wilkinson
Sword" wrote:

On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 00:27:37 -0000, micky wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 22 Jan 2018 19:35:37 -0000, "James Wilkinson
Sword" wrote:

On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 17:59:38 -0000, Mark Lloyd wrote:

[snip]

Even xmas lights with bulbs used about 20 watts a set.

It depends on what bulbs you're using. The (common in some places) C9
set uses 175W (25 * 7W). I called that 1.5A (going up a little for
safety). I would have no more than 9 on a 15A circuit.

Just how many
did you have?

That never seemed relevant, considering there were so many different
sizes. What I had took 7 circuits (with less than 15A on each).

I've never known of such bright xmas lights! Ours are usually under a watt each bulb.

There are the skinny, tiny incandescent ones but there are, or were,
others whose glass part is almost an inch long and over a half-inch
wide. I presume those are the one Mark means.

Ah, big outdoor lights that you'd string all round your eaves. Wouldn't be a problem in the UK where a general use circuit of sockets is 30A at 230V. Exceeding 7kW of xmas lights would be difficult. Why is the USA living in the dark ages?

You don't get it. With the lights on, it's not dark.

I don't know about Mark's house but we have some houses whose Xmas
decorations you can see from space.