Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Does she need a bigger breaker box?

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 22 Jan 2018 08:44:46 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Monday, January 22, 2018 at 11:39:07 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 01:39:05 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 00:58:35 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 00:25:14 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

Sub panel is just slang for what the NEC calls a load side panel
board. There is a service panel and a feeder serving it. It is not
really defining a type of hardware other than not being listed as
"service equipment". That has to do with the ability to handle the
available fault current. If there is an upstream breaker/fuse, that is
a limited current but we usually assume service conductors have no
overcurrent protection and available fault current is only limited by
the resistance of the conductors.
Typically a service disconnect will have a AIC rating of 65,000 a or
more where a standard breaker will be 10,000 or less. This will be
printed on the breaker or breaker label.

What they can do on load side panels is use a Main Lug Only
panel (no main breaker) and then back feed a breaker for a
disconnect. That may be what you are seeing. Since it does not need to
be listed as a service disconnect, it can save the builder money.

The one I gave the part number for is listed as a"service entry
panel"

Yeah in Canada.
It was a Home Depot US listing - not sure it is available in Canada.

The box is rated 100a but if you are going to use it as a service
disconnect enclosure you need a service equipment rated 100a breaker
in it in the US. The fact that they will ship it with a 60 means you
can use it for a sub panel too.
This is the cut sheet. Notice it says box rating 100a.
https://images.tradeservice.com/9ETBOIYK8205G6UU/ATTACHMENTS/DIR100152/SQAREDE84924_DE1_9_DE1_14.pdf

The NEC says this
230.79(C) One-Family Dwellings. For a one-family dwelling, the service
disconnecting means shall have a rating of not less than 100 amperes,
3-wire.

Did we ever get an answer as to why this lady thinks she needs an
upgraded panel?

Yes. I said I wouldn't know until I saw her again Thursday night.

But my guess is that someone told her she'd need one, having selling the
house in mind, and she's thinking she might as well not wait until then,
since prices go up and she can get the "benefit" of the upgrade while
she lives there. I think I said I'd be surprised if she's tripping
breakers.