Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Moisture barriers and Wifi

On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 17:24:51 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:
snip

I have run cat 6 cable here and there as suggested. Now what?

If you have a place that you consider to be a hub', wire them into a
suitable RJ45 patch and use matching singles or doubles at the
'remote' ends.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...le#Termination

Those
connectors don't look easy to wire up

They are more fiddly than difficult Tim, at the patch end particularly
because of the quantity of cables involved.

So, you take the first cable, strip the outer sheath revealing enough
of the inner cable to allow you to work on it and without untwisting
any more of each than necessary, lay them over the relevant IDC
connector then punch down with the right tool. That both pushed the
wire into the blade to give the IDC connection but often trims the
wires off to the right length at the same time. Repeat with the other
3 pairs for that cable them move into the next. ;-)

and what do you put at the outlet
end?

Std, mini, surface, flush, 1-4 way boxes, again with the wires punched
in using the same 'code' (they are often colour coded and a couple of
different ways) at the 'hub' end.

You need to start the ball rolling with how *you* want to lay it all
out (if to use 1 big patch, a couple of smaller ... or separate boxes
at the 'comms' end, depending on how many ends you have) and what type
of boxes you want at the remote ends and we go from there (happy to
pop over and hook it all up etc). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. Most of my wiring has been done on Cat5e ('hundreds' of runs) so
I'd have to research the Cat6 option.