Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Harbor Freight Bar Clamp #60539 Review

On Sunday, January 21, 2018 at 6:06:58 PM UTC-6, wrote:

The point was that, even being one-hand squeeze clamps, they can
deliver a *lot* more force than the subject POS bar clamps. Many here
are denigrating the squeeze clamps but the Irwin 300s and 600s are
damn nice clamps. Haven't broken one yet.

I have a lot of "squeeze" or trigger clamps, and I love them. I use them all the time for all kinds of stuff, they are literally another hand for me.

12 - 16' rip on the sawhorses and your helper is on the scaffold? Clamp one side, rip to the clamp, move the clamp behind you and finish your cut. Need to hold a template in place (like the aforementioned Kreg jig)? Clamp it down so that the bars are on the underside. I use them to hold material in place to sand, to hold pieces together that I am gluing, hold up long material so I can start nailing and work my way to the clamp. The list goes on.

You are right that they hold well. Small glue ups are nothing for them, and I use them so much a few of my carpentry-centric contractor friends now carry them.

I have had excellent luck with the DeWalt brand of clamps. Every Christmas HD has the 4 pack of large and small clamps on sale as stocking stuffers and buy them when they are on sale whether I need them or not when they mark them down after the holiday. Usually get them for about $19 - $20:

https://goo.gl/R9g88f

Likewise with Irwin brand which is usually at Lowes, which their clamps is one of the few things that Irwin makes that I would buy.

I have a couple of 36" triggers (DeWalt makes a 50"!), but rarely use them. If I am going that big I usually drag out all my cabinet clamps as I am in a project.

Robert