Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Does she need a bigger breaker box?

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 21 Jan 2018 12:47:26 -0500,
wrote:

On Sun, 21 Jan 2018 11:56:37 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/21/2018 10:16 AM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 21 Jan 2018 08:09:29 -0500, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 1/20/2018 11:49 PM, micky wrote:

They were built in 1979-80. 3 floors including basement, 3 bedrooms.

The main breaker is not in the middle and doesn't have a lever going up
and down. It's in two of the side slots and when on, faces the wall.

My big mirror is in the car still, but I found a small one. Only 60
amps.

I'll see her Thursday night at a meeting and tell her the bad news,
which I guess she already knows.

When I went looking for more info on this, I got two unrelated hits from
Edmonton. The US might be a little more liberal. I've never tripped a
breaker except the GFI breaker for ground fault reasons.

I'm curious. Is it the same builder that built your house? It this all
part of the same sub-division?

Right and right.

If the same builder he probably used the
same specs as your house. What do you have? It does not seem right of a
1980 house.

Does it make any difference that it's a townhouse?

May have back then. I don't know for sure the code in 1980 but today,
it is 100A for a single family residence NEC 230.79(D)

Minimum service size has been 100a since 1951. (NEC)
Since Micky has said this is a multifamily, it is pretty likely the

It's a townhouse, but I didn't say it was multifamily. It's not like
NYC where many brownstones were built with a servants' apartment in the
ground floor (and now still have a separate apartment there, though not
for servants), and some have been converted to 2 or 3 apartments above
that. These are all one family, with a meter for each house

panel he is looking at is a sub and there is a meter bank and a
disconnect somewhere else.

The meter is less than 10 feet from the breaker box. Of course the box
is inside in the baseement, and the meter is outside in front of the
first floor, but laterally there is almost no distance.

I have a plan sitting on my dining room
table for a multifamily under construction that uses a MLO panel in
each unit. I am still wondering if that 60a goes to an air handler. He
has not answered what kind of heat they have.

I don't remember seeing that question. It's oil heat.

This url is another one from Canada, but it claims that if the meter
sits on a rectangular metal box, the service is probably 100amps. And
with no box it's 60. The problem with that is that I don't remember ever
seeing one that looks like the 60/no box.
http://zoomjer.com/bacon/bacon-blog/...rical-service/