Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does she need a bigger breaker box?

On Sun, 21 Jan 2018 11:56:37 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/21/2018 10:16 AM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 21 Jan 2018 08:09:29 -0500, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 1/20/2018 11:49 PM, micky wrote:

They were built in 1979-80. 3 floors including basement, 3 bedrooms.

The main breaker is not in the middle and doesn't have a lever going up
and down. It's in two of the side slots and when on, faces the wall.

My big mirror is in the car still, but I found a small one. Only 60
amps.

I'll see her Thursday night at a meeting and tell her the bad news,
which I guess she already knows.

When I went looking for more info on this, I got two unrelated hits from
Edmonton. The US might be a little more liberal. I've never tripped a
breaker except the GFI breaker for ground fault reasons.

I'm curious. Is it the same builder that built your house? It this all
part of the same sub-division?

Right and right.

If the same builder he probably used the
same specs as your house. What do you have? It does not seem right of a
1980 house.

Does it make any difference that it's a townhouse?

May have back then. I don't know for sure the code in 1980 but today,
it is 100A for a single family residence NEC 230.79(D)

Minimum service size has been 100a since 1951. (NEC)
Since Micky has said this is a multifamily, it is pretty likely the
panel he is looking at is a sub and there is a meter bank and a
disconnect somewhere else. I have a plan sitting on my dining room
table for a multifamily under construction that uses a MLO panel in
each unit. I am still wondering if that 60a goes to an air handler. He
has not answered what kind of heat they have.