Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Smart Meter Nonsense

On Sun, 21 Jan 2018 15:25:34 -0000, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

I've got a ·5 device that does that. It's sat on my desk next to

me
and picks up a signal by wireless from a clamp on the meter tail

in
the box outside.

Aye, also connected to the server to log power use at one minute

No, it's my own device. It's not on the internet,

Niethers mine, "server" is my server, located upstairs. The server
can serve a web page of the data viewable only on the LAN.

it just uses wireless frequencies (local frequencies like your router)

None of my routers have any wireless side.

That's why they come a dig up the road. I wonder what a Smart

Meter
does when it's been told to cut the supply and some one by passes

it?
Will it report power on it's output terminals when supposedly

"off"?
Will it report loss of power on its input if its reconnected(*),
cross matchable with recorded outages? Will "the system" notice no
useage reports after a while if left disconnected.

I wouldn't put power on its output terminals.

That's an obvious one not to do.

The connection from main cutout to meter is normally direct so not
easy to break into and maintain the supply to the meter whilst
working live. Not impossible but tricky in practice to avoid the
flash BANG.

A short interruption to the meter's supply wouldn't make it do anything.
It must expect outages.

You've not got your anti-fraud hat on properly. Agreed a meter should
expect outages but not reporting loss of input from x to y date/time
when in "off" mode next time it phones home opens the door to fraud a
little. All outages on the DNO's network are recorded, either by an
auto-recloser phoneing home to say it tripped/locked out, same for
larger sub-stations and primary sub-stations or routine/maintenance
work or fault clearance. For the latter all switching alterations,
and the sequence of them, required to isolate a section of line go
through and are approved by the DNO's control room before being
actioned on the ground. Failure of the grid would also be recorded.
PoP to automatically check if there was an outage when the meter says
there was one and raise a flag to "safety check" the meter if there
wasn't a recorded outage and the meter is in "off" mode.

--
Cheers
Dave.